Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrade from win 8 to win 7.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scientist28

Scientist28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

I am planning on ordering an Hp desktop for my grand dad who needs a new computer. The problem is that the desktops that are sold through hp only come with win 8 which I think would be harder for him learn as he is familiar with  the xp style layout. Also I have used win 8 a little bit and I didn't like the way it is setup. Whats the best way to downgrade to win 7? I take it I just need to buy a copy of win 7 and format the drive and install win 7. if I format the drive will I have to re-install network drivers if I want to get back onto the the internet or does win 7 automatically support most integrated network adapters?

Thanks.

Edited by Scientist28, 29 May 2013 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hello and Welcome.....

When you buy the computer see if you can get a downgrade copy of Windows 7 for free from the store you buy the computer, if not then you would have to buy a copy of Windows 7. After you install windows 7 you may have to install drivers for your hardware. I recommend you download the drivers first from the manufactures web site before you do the format.

But before you go that route, you may try a little program called Classic Shell for Win8. It is a Freeware program you can install and it will give you feel of Windows 7. I have installed this for some folks and they were OK with it. You can read about it @ hxxp://www.classicshell.net/

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

My wife was in the same spot last year, needed a new work laptop, wanted an HP but did not want Windows 8 - we both hate it.

There are still quite a few through Amazon, Newegg and several other reputable places online that still offer them with Windows 7.

She settled on a HP Pavilion dv6 with the i5 processor - it's not top of the line but it's fast and looks and runs great. We found it at one of the box stores.

That's the route I'd choose.

Downgrading seems a little too much trouble, esp. if you're going to buy a new machine. Might as well buy one that has what you want right out the box, as the kids say.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

You can still buy laptops with Windows 7, but maybe not from HP. Personally, I wouldn't touch HP with a bargepole. I've seen too many motherboard failures.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi

If it is just the Modern UI and the lack of start menu are bothering you, there are several third party alternative to overcome that.

There are several free start menu programs are available like Classic start menu but my recommendation is to use either start is back or Stardock's start 8.

http://www.startisback.com/

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

So here is my suggestion -

- Buy a HP PC which is compatible with Win 7. Make sure Win 7 drivers are available in the Manufacturer's site.

- Download the trail version of Startisback from the above link. It will work for 30 days. If you like it, you just have to pay USD 3. You will get all the advanced features of Windows 8 with the comfort and fell of Windows 7.

- If you can't live with Win 8 even with start menu, proceed to downgrade to Windows 7. If you have a Win8 Pro licence, you are eligible for a free downgrade.

Edit:

There are Win 7 Pre-installed machines still available from HP. You should be hurry as they are limited in supply.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/search-Browse?CategoryDomainName=&CategoryName=&PageNumber=0&PageSize=15&SearchTerm=top+deals&SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3Dtop%2Bdeals&SortingAttribute=TieredPricing-asc

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 May 2013 - 08:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users