Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

I went through all the steps to partition my hard drive but when I get to the last step on the "Format Partition" screen and click "finish" I get the following error: "you cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because this disk already contains the maximum numer of partitions".

I'm trying to partition space to also install Windows 7 because Windows 8 is not compatible w/my graphics card and Intel doesn't have an updated driver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by justmeinflorida, 29 May 2013 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi justmeinflorida,

It says in the error message you are receiving that "you cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because this disk already contains the maximum number of partitions".

Are you getting this error message when trying to install Windows 7 from the CD or from within Windows 8?

I am going to assume it is from within Windows 8 for now.  How many partitions do you currently have?

To check, please open disk management:

1) Go to Start -> Run (Shortcut is Windows Key + R)

2) Type diskmgmt.msc

3) Click OK.

4) Disk management will open up.

For example on my computer I have the following partitions:

On Disk 0, I have 3 partitions.  One called System Reserved, one called (D:) Windows 7  and one called (C:) Windows 8.

On Disk 1, I have 1 partition.  One called Data (F:).

If you have any questions regarding my post, please do not hestitate to ask me.

Thank you.

#3 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm currently running Win8 but Win8 is not compatible w/my graphics card, so I've been told I can partition my drive so I can open either Win7 or Win8 as needed. Having Win7 will allow me to update the graphics driver (which Intel has a download for).

On Disk 0, I have: System Reserved, (C:), (D:), 40.00 GB unallocated, 3.93 GB Healthy (Primary Partition)

Edited by justmeinflorida, 29 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#4 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm wondering if I can just delete the 3.93 (Primary Partition)? I didn't create that partition myself and I don't see anything on it.

#5 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

Usually I see this type of partition as recovery partition. I see these types of partitions all the time with computers and laptops from makes like Dell, HP and Lenovo.

Normally this is used when you need to restore the computers operating system to how it came originally from the factory.  Manufactures are favouring this type of method rather than sending installation media.

I would say providing you are happy that you can resintall Windows from your own installation CD it would be okay to delete.

I think the issue is you already have four partitions on that hard drive so deleting this partition may well fix your issue.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

#6 justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for getting back with me. I took a leap of faith and deleted the 3.93 partition and it free'd up the space to create the other partition. When I was able to finish partitioning the drive the 40 GB and the 3.93 GB merge, so I'm happy...no lost memory.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi

Don't proceed to delete or modify partitions if you don't know what you are doing. It may render your system unbootable !  

Please post a snapshot of your disk management  and upload it in next reply. Read the instructions in the below link to know how to do that -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

Also post the details of the video card or the motherboard. I may be able to help you get it working in Windows 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users