Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which computer should I keep??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clonedad

clonedad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

So for the past few years, I've been using a refurbished dell inspiron 530, which has a 500 gigabyte hard drive, 3 gigs of ram, and an Intel Core2 duo E6550 @ 2.33ghz. with a GEforce 8300 GS video card

I use it primarily for web design, and use it for my home studio. 

It runs the adobe cs6 suite just fine 

But, recently was given a Pavilion p6230y PC, which has an AMD Penom II x4 810 processor, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, 750 gb hard drive, and  ATI Radeon HD 4200.

Now I don't need both PC's, so i'd like to keep the nicer one and give the other one to my brother to use for browsing the web n' whatnot.

I don't really know enough about specs to know which PC is better... glancing at the numbers the Pavilion seems better, but I just don't know enough about each processor to determine which one would be more suited for my needs. 

Which one would you recommend keeping? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Lets get this discussion under way by me asking you which computer has the best over-all appearance to you? 

CPU world is a great resource for comparing CPUs.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_Duo/index.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%20810%20-%20HDX810WFK4FGI%20(HDX810WFGIBOX).html

You do your own comparison, the reason why is that no matter what I can suggest, it is you who has to live with that decision.

Now once you have checked out both CPUs use CPU world's CPU comparison, choose each CPU and have the two CPUs compared.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Well...why simply install rthe same apps on both systems (like I do with two of mine)...and see which system performs better with the samw apps?

Hard drive size...is a non-factor, IMO...while RAM differences become meaningful only if you are running a 64-bit O/S on that system.

IMO...processor comparisons...are meaningful only if they have some relationship to the system's ability to run apps.  Which is why I suggest installing same apps on each and running each...and going with your personal preference.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users