Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed FBI Virus & Now Have No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ink625

ink625

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

My aunt brought her laptop to me a couple days ago with the newest version of the FBI Virus. After I removed it and restarted the computer it has lost it's internet connection. My wireless router and my brother's wireless router are both within 75 ft but the network and sharing center says there's no connections available. However, it works if I connect it directly to my router with an ethernet cable. The laptop I'm using for this message as well as several other devices connect to my router wirelessly without issue. I ran malwarebytes again and it ran for almost 24 hours and found only 1 infected object which I removed, but with no luck. I tried some other potential fixes I found online but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas on what I should try next? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heshie75v

heshie75v

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Can you tell me how you removed the malware and the malwarebytes should not be running for 24 hours

#3 ink625

ink625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

I removed it with Malwarebytes and I know it shouldn't run for 24 hours. When I first tried to scan it, it kept freezing on the users\appdata\local\temporary internet files folder. So I added that file to the ignore list and ran the scan in just 35 minutes, but it didn't find anything. So I added that folder back and almost 3 million files and 24 hours later the scan was done with 1 infected object, which apparently wasn't causing my no internet problem. 

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 May 2013 - 04:39 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7. ~ OB

#4 ink625

ink625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Nevermind guys. I fixed it by following the suggestion of Adam Pollard in the duplicate thread I accidentally posted. Uninstalling the wifi adapter from the device manager and scanning for hardware changes did the trick. Thanks Adam!

Edited by ink625, 29 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users