Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ACUFerret

ACUFerret

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:30 PM

Hello everybody, i'm new to this forums and i have a question. I'm just starting out trying to learn how to build a good computer. Well, i need a motherboard first of all, and my question is...What are the things i need to look for so that my computer is ideal for a new motherboard...the reason im asking is i have just a regulare PCI motherboard and i would like to get a PCI-E with a x16 so i can get a good video card. So any help is appreciated

Thanks.

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 April 2006 - 01:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

The motherboard you will choose will have to support the processor and provide the features you want.

It will also depend on how much money you want to spend, what types of hard drive/s you want to use, how much RAM (and what type) it can support.

The best way to start is by determining what you want your computer to be able to do - gaming? Just regular office function?

By saying you want a PCI Express 16 slot I assume graphics display for extreme gaming may be your goal - is it?

Other things to consider is size of power supply, what other components you want, etc, and if you intend to overclock (which you need to be fairly expert to do unless you have lots of money ready to replace components because of mistakes).

Lets start with how much do you have available to spend and what you want to do with the computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 April 2006 - 12:31 PM.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

Also what are the uses of this computer...?

Do you already have a good sound card or do you want 5.1 channel supported on the board?

#4 ACUFerret

ACUFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

Well im getting ready for GR:AW so i need to get a good graphics card so yeah that's what im getting a motherboard for because the one i have only has PCI which i can't really get any good graphic card with that. I don't have any money right now so im saving up when i get my landscaping job this summer so money isn't really an issue, im just looking right now. With the sound i just installed my new SB X-FI xtreme Music.

Edited by ACUFerret, 13 April 2006 - 07:08 PM.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

Do you want just a new motherboard or a whole new computer ? If you want just a motherboard and have a factory-built Dell, HP-Compaq, etc., then you probably will NOT be able to install a standard motherboard. Also, those Dell/HP power supplies are nonstandard and won't plug into a standard mobo. You will have to buy a new case and power supply, though you would be able to use the existing optical, floppy and hard drives.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:34 PM

Well if money isn't a terrible issue I suggest you build yourself a nice rig...

The Comp I am building next year is this(BTW I am a gamer :thumbsup: ):
Case
Antec P180 ATX Advanced Mid Tower Aluminum Case
Pleas Note that this case weighs 40lbs... so you might want to think of something else if you lug it around to LANParties alot.
Power Supply
Antex True Power 2.0 550W ATX12V V2.0 SLI 1200MM Fan Power Supply
This is a nice powerfull powersupply to handle SLI when I get the second video card
Processor
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
Planning to OC it eventually so I don't really need the 3700+
Motherboard
ASUS A8M-E Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4 Ultra DDR PCI-E16 2PCE1 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN
Onboard raid is pratical if you need it and Gigabit LAN is awsome (espicially when you are a staff at a LANParty and you are aloud to hook into the gigabit port on the switch :flowers: perks of the job)
Videocard
EVGA E-GEFORCE 6600 300MHZ 256MB 128 BIT 550MHZ DDR PCI-E DVI-I TV-OUT Video Card
This is a nice Video card and hoping to get a second one like it to hook with SLI
Memory
Corsair Value Select PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR 400 184Pin DIMM DUal Channel Memory Kit
Memory is cheap and can always add more...
Hardrive
Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10000RPM 8MB 4.5MS Hard Drive
Might have a small capacity but note the RPM. I got a second 100GB 5400RMP Hardrive already for videos and stuff...
Optical Drives
Samsung SH-W162 16X DVD+-RW 5X Dual LAyer DVD Writer Black
Getting this drive x2 so that I can burn multiple DVDs at one time when I do my video editing for friends and family and can easily copy DVDs from one drive to another
Floppy Drive
Mitsumi FA404A-BK 7-In-1 Floppy Drive & Flash Reader
Never know when you will need a floppy drive and the Flash Reader is pratical for my digital camera
Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Planning on getting a nice 32inch flap panel LCD or Plasma or maybe a projector so I can watch TV and stuff. Also already got the TV Tuner Card
Keyboard
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard USB Clack Silver LCD Panel Programmable Back Lit Keys
Love this Keyboard...

Note that there is no mouse that is because it is already purchased it is a Logitec Corless Laser Mouse MX610. And also got the sound card and speakers. Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and Logitech X530 speakers.

Also buying an ASUS GIGAx1024P Smart 24-Port 10/100MBPS + 2-Port 1000MBPS Managed Rack-Mount Switch for LANParties and a LASER Samsung ML-1610 Personal Mono Laser Printer...

The grand total of all this not counting in the 70$ sound card, 130$(that I got on sale for 70$) speakers and 90$ (that I got on sale for 30$) comes up to 1639.09$CAD

All prices are quoted in Canadian Dollars and come from www.ncix.com

BTW I want two 17inch LCD Monitors but haven't decided with one yet.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 13 April 2006 - 08:35 PM.

#7 ACUFerret

ACUFerret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:38 PM

Im not sure if im going to build it my self but i might have a custom built at alienware or get this computer ... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=1775596

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Nice machine there...

I would watch out with alienware they can get a little pricey sometimes... but they are still awsome machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users