Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Drivers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomboysocks

tomboysocks

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

ho hum. more internet cyber trash from sarah.

recently my computer has been restarting randomly-- i really have no clue why. each time i am doing completely different things. each time though microsoft tells me it is because of a device driver.

just the last time, it told me it was my nvidia drivers, and linked me to a website where i could download some. i clicked it, dled, installed it... and restarted my comp.

it started up normal, showing all the booting up screens normally, but when it came time to display the welcome screen, my monitor went black and displayed a message reading something like "unable to display"

playing around at the booting up screens, i was successfully able to start up in safe mode, where i promptly went to system restore. it restarted and... displayed the message again.

does anyone have any clue what i should do if i can ever start up in safe mode again?
should i try system restore again?
should i go to the website and re-install the drivers? i believe the site title was "windows xp/2000"
thanks everyone.
wot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

What kind of nvidia card do you have? Is it an actual card or is it onboard (or shared/integrated) graphics?

If it's an actual card, go to the nvidia website and download the latest and greatest drivers from them. Be sure to uninstall the old drivers, reboot, then install your new drivers.

If it's onboard (or shared/integrated) graphics, well, I believe that you can do the same thing (uninstall/reinstall). You will probably have to use a disc that came with the computer to reinstall your onboard graphics.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 tomboysocks

tomboysocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

mm i believe its an actual card.

their website is kind of confusing.. im not sure which is the latest drivers
wot

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

No problem at all....assuming you can tell me exactly what kind of card you have! Please try to be specific, like nvidia 6800 gtx or nvidia 5700 ultra, or nvidia 6600. I'll try to find you a link to the latest drivers that you need if you can provide me with your exact card (if it's the incorrect card, chances are the drivers won't work!).

Thanks!

Edited by stevealmighty, 14 April 2006 - 12:56 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 tomboysocks

tomboysocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:50 PM

thank you! the card i have is an Nvidia Geforce4 mx 4000.

i tried to use the cd last time but it said that the drivers were older than the system. being confused, i canceled the installation.

i just tried again and installed the drivers, but it still says there is a problem with them.

[edit!] i tried the found new hardware wizard, specifying it to use the cd, and it said it couldnt install them because they were uncompatable withwindows xp [end edit]

my computer now successfully starts up and displays everything nicely, but there is a major lag when i scroll, move windows, or move icons. nothing is smooth

Edited by tomboysocks, 16 April 2006 - 10:45 PM.

wot

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Install Direct X 9.0c first. You can download it HERE. If you know that you already have it installed, then don't worry about it.

Ok, try going to this site HERE to download the drivers. They are the drivers for the geforce series, w2k and win xp. They should work fine. Click on the link that says "Primary Download Site". Once you have the drivers downloaded, uninstall your old drivers, restart your computer then install the new drivers. If when you restart, windows comes up with a balloon saying "new hardware found, what do you want to do?", just cancel it. It will tell you something like "not installed and may not work correctly". Don't worry about it, as you'll install the drivers yourself. Install the drivers and restart.

Hopefully, everything should be working fine now. If not, then you must have something more than just a driver issue. Post back and let us know either way it works!
Posted Image

#7 tomboysocks

tomboysocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

yay! thank you for all your help! its all running smooth again. :D
wot

0 user(s) are reading this topic