Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes scan - malicious files - vendor Hoax.sms - Kaspersky connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CompuNovice

CompuNovice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

I was away from my desktop for a week and when I returned, I ran routine updates and scans.  One of those scans, the Malwarebytes Anti-Malwarebytes (PRO) scan, found malicious files that may actually be part of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2012.  The two have never conflicted before, to my knowledge.  And to add to the mystery, Malwarebytes claimed the vendor was "Hoax.sms".  The concluding information of the MBAM text file reads as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2012\avzkrnl.dll (Hoax.SMS) -> No action taken.

C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP12\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\temporaryFolder\AutoPatches\kav12\12.0.0.374\avzkrnl.dll (Hoax.SMS) -> No action taken.

I emailed Kaspersky about it and sent them the additional information they requested.  But I have yet to hear from them.  My concern is that if and when I do hear from them, the advice will be generic.  You know? 'Uninstall/Reinstall' or 'Remove MBAM altogether'.  I want to be heard. So, I chose this forum.  First time poster but I do have a screen shot ready to go, if you require.  I also have the full text of the MBAM scan as well.  Kaspersky scan have not detected these same files but I understand that MBAM and KIS detect different items anyway - which is why I have both. 

I am using Windows 7, 64-bit.  The Flashplayer on my computer is the IE version because for reasons I do not understand, the Mozilla version stopped working properly earlier this year.  Also, been having problems with Java.  The advice is that I have to uninstall/reinstall again; but I put off the attempt until my week-long absence from the computer.  And now, with this issue, I don't want to rock any boats.  I want the information I have collected to be accurate for such discussions. 

If this post is lacking, please let me know and I will attempt to remedy the problem.  Thank you, in advance, for viewing and/or attempting to resolve my query.  Best wishes, CompuNovice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Get a second opinion. Go to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of spdc.sys and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.
-- Post back with the results of the file analysis.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 CompuNovice

CompuNovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi boopme,

The issue seems to be resolved, as mysteriously as it appeared.  My conversations with Kaspersky concluded with the advice that I ought to uninstall Malwarebytes because the two programs are incompatible, in the sense that they will detect each other in future as well.  That being said, they were certain the items detected were part of the Kaspersky program, though I never did understand why the vender came up as "Hoax.sms".

I did the "File to Scan" as you suggested on the 2 individual files and they came up clean.  I'm keeping an eye on things but all seems well.  Was this just a fluke, you think?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

I would have to leave it at that .. In conflict ..MBAm is seeing somethong in Kaspersky and will flag it until the MBAM system is updated to those files being safe.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users