Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what does this mean?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 McDawg

McDawg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Machine will not boot, DOS screen looks like it's scrolling hyper fast then it says:
Memory write/read failure at 5F7E0000, read 7E917E11 expecting 7E917E91
Memory address failure at 5F7E0000, read 7E917E11 expecting 81818181
It was doing this yesterday so I re-installed OS, updated it and when I turned it on today it does this again.
Thanks for your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sounds like you may have faulty memory, you should test out your memory to be sure.....

Free memory testers:

http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

When you boot up your machine, you might have a boot options button you can press. This may have diagnostics, including a memory checker.

The Univeral Boot CD comes with some memory tools, you could try this http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

(It would help if you provided more info about your system, i.e laptop or desktop pc, make and model, and the subject could be more informative, eg "what does this mean "Memory write/read failure at 5F7E0000 etc" )

Edited by Adam Pollard, 29 May 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#4 McDawg

McDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks to both of you, I went to the memtest86 and clicked the links and I guess I don't know how use a .iso and neither does windows because nothing happened. Sorry Adam and to everyone else for not providing more info but I have a Dell laptop Latitude D610 running XP pro with an 80G HDD and 1G SDRAM, the only reason I know that is I have the receipt for the work that I had done. I'll try the ultimate bootcd idea, from the name of that site I guess I need a blank disc to download that program to and run it from there. I just hope it runs itself and doesn't need me to have a Phd in computer engineering. 

#5 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

You need an image burning program such as ImgBurn. You burn the iso to a cd and boot from it, usually press F12 for boot options, then choose CD/DVD/Optical drive

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Being that this is a Dell Laptop, you can turn on your computer and hit F12 which will give you a menu and you can run a Diagnostics from there, including checking the Memory and the Hard Drive if needed, as well as all the other hardware on the laptop.

You should try the Dell Diagnostics first.....

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

The following information came from Microsoft Community.

XP Pro doesn't have a built-in memory test,

The tutorial below may be easier to follow for Memtest86.

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4) Please download and install ImageBurn.

5) Insert blank CD into your CD drive.

6) Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

7) Click on the Browse for a file... icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

8) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

9) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

10) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users