Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer will not start with added memory.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mykel99

Mykel99

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hello, I have a Gateway GT-5662 desktop computer running Windows 7. I have 3GB of RAM. 2- 1GB and 2- 512 MB. They are all Samsung

PC2-5300U-555-12-ZZ memory modules. I purchased two 1GB memory sticks to replace the two 512MB sticks so that I would have a total of 

4 GB of Ram. The memory sticks I bought are Samsung PC2-5300U-555-12-E3. These sticks have 8 black modules on both sides and the ones

that I have installed have these 8 modules only on 1 side. When I replaced the two 512 memory sticks with the new ones, my computer would

freeze at the startup screen. I exchanged their places in the computer and it didn't solve the problem. It would not get past the startup screen.

I had to replace the 512 memory sticks to get the computer running again. Does the difference in the last 2 digits of the Samsung Ram sticks have anything to do with this problem?

Thank you.

Edited by Mykel99, 29 May 2013 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi Mykel99 and welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:

Your theory might very well be correct.

It does happen where memory modules do not play well together when forced to work as a team.

Does your motherboard output any BIOS error beep codes? Next time you boot up, listen for any type of beeping from the mainboard and if you acknowledge any such codes listen to the sequence and make note of it. Then to the best of your abilty post those codes here in your next reply.

What I would try first though is when your computer is booting up and before the BIOS screen switches over to Window's start screen logo, press the default key to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Once you are in the BIOS menu screen, observe any keyboard related "F" key menu option to load system fail safe defaults, or any mention of load system defaults. Once you see that option press that keyboard key, then make sure you save the changes before exiting the BIOS setup. Your system should now save the new ESD changes and boot back up.

Let me know if this resolved your issue.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 May 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hello Bruce,   My computer did not make any beeping sound when I booted up. I went into the Bios and made the change you requested and nothing

happened. It still froze at the start up screen. I then went back into the Bios and loaded the optimal performance default setting and the computer

still froze at the start up screen. I think it's time to buy the ZZ memory. Oh well...

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Not to make this topic mine, but I experienced that with this Dell XPS400 I am using, once a stick of RAM was added to slot #2 my system beeped rapidly indicating it did not agree with the RAM module I added. Both sticks came from the same manufacturer and were similar, but for some crazy reason, my motherboard was not allowing it to happen. 

I am sure if I want out and both two sticks brand new and added both, this stubborn motherboard would be a lot happier. 

It has a lot to do with the chipset, some chipsets are very picky, while others can agree with whatever you throw at them.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

I'm going to just resell these on ebay and buy 2 other ones that are identical.  Wish me luck!

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Okay.

I believe you will over come this, hopefully it is not a case of a bad motherboard RAM slot.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users