Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot after Windows 7 updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lbryant

lbryant

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Ran Windows Updates yesterday morning.  It created several software problems (via Flash Player conflict) so I decided to do a system restore from the restore point created just before (I think?) the updates were installed.  Big mistake.

When the computer rebooted, there was an error message from boot manager saying 'the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible'.

I booted from the Windows 7 install disc and ran the startup repair. It says it 'can't fix the problem automatically'.

Tried these solutions I found on various web sites:

Ran bootrec/fixboot with command prompt, said it was successful. Didn't help.

Tried to reboot with what I believe is the recovery drive (I'm no computer expert) and got this error message: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt - windows\system32\winload.exe

Went into diskpart via command prompt to make sure all (four) hard drives are active--it says all are 'healthy'

Noticed after rebooting from the install disc that the C drive with Windows on is now the F drive and one of the other internal hard drives (formerly F) is now C. I used command prompts to rename them correctly, tried to reboot, no change. Upon rebooting from the install disc, the letters are incorrect again. Not sure this makes any difference but does seem weird.

When I looked at the problem log from the unsuccessful startup repair, it mentioned an external device. Trying anything, I disconnected the external hard drive and ran startup repair again. This time it said it could find no problem, so I rebooted. No change. Booted from install disk again and tried startup repair again and it once again said it couldn't fix the problem automatically; I immediately ran it again just out of curiosity and this time it said it could find no problem.  Tried to reboot, no change.

Gave up and attempted to re-install Windows, but shortly after starting it said the Windows 7 disc was running and I needed to restart the computer normally, then try to re-install (!!!).

I'm getting desperate. I make my living at home via this computer and have already lost a day and would greatly appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

System manufacturer and model?

I suspect...that you have damaged your system files or NTFS beyond the point of repair using Win 7 tools...or you have a hardware problem (hard drive).  My experience with using the Win 7 startup repair tool is that it either works or doesn't work...when it doesn't work, I clean install.

But others here have more experience/knowledge, so let's see what others may contribute.

Louis

#3 vulcain

vulcain

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hello, have you tried the sfc / scannow command to check an integrity violation is detected, the tool tries to repair corrupt or missing files. This command is executed in CMD or the command prompt. Valid in safe mode or better called safe mode command.
This is an indication and expert forum can you confirm whether or not the procedure.

cordially

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

The fact that your hard drive letters have changed would seem to indicate the problem is in your master boot record. It would also explain why your system is not booting - the MBR knows the OS it needs to boot from is on the C drive, but that is now the F drive. You could try repairing it. Insert the installation DVD, choose the repair option, and type in bootsect /fixmbr at the command prompt. When done, it should boot directly into Windows.

However, you may have no choice but to wipe the hard drive clean and do a new install of the operating system.

#5 lbryant

lbryant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thank you so much for your replies.  I've been working on this practically nonstop.

Yes I did try sfc/scannow.  It said everything was okay, still no boot success.

I also tried bootsect/fixmbr.  Successfully renamed the drives, still no boot.  Upon booting again from the install disc into the recovery console, the drives were mis-lettered again.

I was able to successfully install Windows to a known good (spare) hard drive, still wouldn't boot the drive. 

Also tried to flash the bios, no success.  The Q-flash utility gave a 'drive access error' when trying to retrieve the needed file from two different flash drives, also from a USB floppy drive.

Also tried doing a basic system restore by going into the Windows drive via Linux Mint, according to directions from yet another web site.  Looked promising to a point but the files I was supposed to copy and change were not in the specified folder.

I found a suggestion that Update may have re-written some of the machine code for the motherboard and without the ability to flash the bios I may need to replace it.  A new one is on the way and hopefully will be here tomorrow.

Sorry if some of this is not in proper terminology, I'm obviously no expert in this.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I will post again after the motherboard installation.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

If it's not reading from any drives, USB-attached or installed HDD, and it's still switching the hard drive letters, then I would say your BIOS and/or motherboard are non-functional. Did anything odd happen during Windows Updates and/or the initial system restore? It almost sounds like a power surge of some sort damaged either the chipsets or the board itself.

Sorry you're having all these issues. Hopefully the new motherboard will help. Meanwhile, I suggest backing up all user data and files that you can access now, just in case. And keep those program installation disks handy too. You may have to literally start from scratch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users