Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Can't Save When Dling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IoRiY

IoRiY

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

Since a few days ago, I noticed that I can not download any files through Internet Explorer. For instance there is a file to download, a popup window would prompt and ask to Open or Save the file right, I choose save and a directory, the download would start, and when it finishes, the popup window would disappear (the option of closing this window when download finishes is UNTICKED) and when I go to that directory it would not be there. Same thing applies to MSN Messenger, when I receive a file from my contacts, I accept and the transfer starts, when the download finishes I would be unable to find the file that I just received, it's like I've never had it downloaded at all. But there is no problem when I download through Downloading softwares such as Flashget and Thunder.

Any help please? Thanks a lot
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:25 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

What kind of files are you downloading? Music from a P2P site? If so, you are more than likely infected.

Sorry I don't have more time right now to help you chase it down, but I'll be back! In the meantime you can search Microsoft's Knowledge Base HERE.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 13 April 2006 - 06:28 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

What file extentions are you trying to download, where are you trying to download from, and are you using a third party download manager rather than IE's to download?

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 April 2006 - 09:49 AM.

#4 IoRiY

IoRiY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

Yesterday I just fixed this problem. Some how windows defender seemed like the problem, after I uninstalled it all downloads started to work again but now here's another problem:

After I receive any files (So far not sure if it's ANY file type, so far it happened on *.mp3 and *.wav), I wouldn't be able to open the file through clicking the blue "link" to the file transfered because Windows would block it saying "It might be harmful to your computer" = = I now have to access the file by going to the "My Received Files" directory and do it "manually" everytime.

How do I disable this service? I'm smart enough to figure out what I want to download and what not to without the help of microsoft...
Posted Image

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

Windows Defender can be set to allow items at your discretion.

Add or remove items from the Windows Defender allowed listTo complete these steps, you must be logged on as Administrator or be a member of the Administrators group.

If you trust software that Windows Defender has detected, you can stop Windows Defender from alerting you to risks that the software might pose to your privacy or your computer. The next time Windows Defender alerts you about the software, on the Action menu, select Always Allow.

If you want to monitor the software again later, you need to remove it from the Windows Defender allowed list.

To remove an item from the list
Open Windows Defender. (Click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Defender.)
Click Tools, and then click Allowed items.
Select the item you want to monitor again, and then click Remove.
Warning

Do not allow software with severe or high alert ratings to run on your computer. These items can harm your privacy or the security of your computer.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hello folks, The one thing that has to be done is find out what he has for a system etc. Also what Firewall does he have? If he is using Zonealarm this could be stopping the downloads, also are there any error messaages that might be oppping up? It could be any one of the anti-spyware programs doing this. He could even have installed a program that might have changed the download paths or something on that order. Has there been any download accelerators installed that might still be on his system? WHat is his ISP? AOL does some pretty funny stuff sometimes. Actually so does others. What antivirus program is used?

Send in some of this info and it will be easier to help you. Thank you

#7 IoRiY

IoRiY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

Sorry that I forgot to mention, this blocking thing happens when I receive files through MSN Messenger. It seems like music files are all subject to this blocking thing... Everytime something is received it's like this:
Posted Image
and if I click on the blue link it would go:
Posted Image
(sorry it's in Chinese but I guess you guys know what it is? @@)

and if I click on OK that file would disappear.

How come? @@
Posted Image

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

What you have here is actually a foreign language it is either Chinese or Japanese or something like it. Your computer does not have the language type in it to be able to know what is being said, if it did you would have the translation. Where are you downloading this from? I mean when on with MSN Messenger do you know where the file is coming from? If you know that you should be able to get the language pack for it. Best thing is if you have anybody that is familiar with language packs help you.

#9 IoRiY

IoRiY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

lol... ThorXP... um... my Windows XP is in Chinese, my MSN Messenger is in Chinese, and I'm in Chinese too lol. There's nothing to do with the language packs, it's the Windows Security Center that blocked the access to the received file through the link.

Someone tell me how to disable this block by Windows Security Center please, thanks
Posted Image

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

When you click on Internet Options in the Security Center it brings up Internet Explorer's internet properties.

I don't use MSN Messenger (or any other), but it would be reasonable that there should be security settings in its own settings.

See if you can list MSN Messenger as a trusted site, although that would be opening your computer to a tremendous virus/trojan/malware exposure.

P2Ps are the largest source of infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users