Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC completely dead, a few questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 access2godzila

access2godzila

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

I have an old PC belonging to the IBM Netvista series. Even a few days ago, it was working fine. Today, however, when I turned it on, a loud crackling noise occured, and then it turned out to be dead: pressing the power button seems to do nothing.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm assuming that either the SMPS or the mobo has shorted, however, how should I get to detect which one is the culprit?

2. Could the HDD have been damaged when it conked out? (I have some rather important data on it that I didn't back up, and turned it on for this purpose when all this happened. The irony.)

Please excuse my ignorance and many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi

Your SMPS is probably dead. Yes, there is a chance for Motherboardto be be faulty (due to the power spike from SMPS when it shorted ). You can do a basic SMPS diagnostic by shorting the green wire with any of the black wires. While doing so make sure to remove all connections to the motherboard and peripherals. If the FAN started to spin, you will get an idea whether it is completely dead or not.

To check your HDD and motherboard, there is no short ways. You should connect a good working SMPS and check if  the system boot fine.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 May 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

(I have some rather important data on it

First consideration is retrieving your data. Pull out the hard drive and slave it to another computer (if it's a SATA there is no need to set to slave) and check that you can access your data. If you cannot, post back. I suggest not doing any additional troubleshooting on the computer until you back up your data.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users