Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Function Keys not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

This is an ASUS Netbook with AMD processor running Win 7. It has ran fine for a long time. I connectyed to a unsecured network and since the I have lost the use of my function keys. I can no longer disable the keypad, adjust volume, Mute, and everything else that used to work with the function key. The "hour glass" icon is always present by the nav cursor like something is downloading.

Anybody got a clue?

Sudsy

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

Hi sudsy,

Did you try going to the Asus support site and reinstalling the function keys drivers? Posting the complete model would also help.

Tekken

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Hi sudsy,

Did you try going to the Asus support site and reinstalling the function keys drivers? Posting the complete model would also help.

I think it's an ASUS PC1015T "sea shell" Netbook with an AMD processor. It's trying to reload AVG right now. I will verify later.

Edited by sudsy, 29 May 2013 - 02:30 AM.

UFO pilot

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

I can not use function keys on my Eee PC. How do I resolve this issue?

Tekken

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thanks jhayz;

I am not sure if this is where I should post this or not. Please move it to wherever you deem pertinent.

I had actually resolved the function key problem just a little while before you sent the link. The function keys are now working but there is something else going on. I have thought of a few things that may be the cause:

I purchased and installed One Click Maintenance on my three PCs about three weeks ago. I am not on the problem Asus Eee typing this.
I have had no issues with this Notebook (MSI duo core IBM)nor the desktop custom built with an Asus K8V Deluxe MB and 3400 AMD 64 processor. I run Win 7 on all three and they all have the same programs installed. All use AVG free and have for years.

What seems to be the problem with the Eee is I went to a campground for a short stay. It was a US Government Military facility. I paid for one week of WiFi and that's when things went bad.

I selected the link as a Public Site. That's when the function key problem appeared but also the following has been and still is happening.I turned the machine off and waited to get home to my own secure WiFi network. It was off for a few days.

The hour glass next to the cursor is constant. The Hard Drive activity light is indicating HD activity. I have looked at Task Manager but can't put my finger on anything there. CPU usage is 100%

Last night I removed and tried to reinstall AVG free (I have had to do this in the past) and was prompted to remove One Click Maintenance first. Then after the AVG reinstall I was prompted to buy the exact same protection (in appearance of GUI) from AVG and I could not get the install to complete. Later I attempted to again remove AVG and could not. I was prompted to wait until current program completed uninstall. I found and tried a separate file from AVG to remove the program. Then I was prompted

I did a system restore to May 11th before I took i out of the house. I then did a Windows/MS Update. The first failed and that made me remember that I need to temporarily disable my AVG free to do a successful restore. I made several attempts and on the second day (this morning) I did get AVG removed (I think). Ten I checked Update again and saw a Recommended Update called Windows Security Essentials which I choose to try. It loaded and has now done a first scan and finds nothing.

I still have this unusual HD activity and the machine is sluggish.

Sudsy

Edited by sudsy, 30 May 2013 - 05:09 PM.

UFO pilot

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

<<One Click Maintenance>>

Such utilities were born in the days of Win 95/98 usage, when the inherent tools within Windows were not necessarily very adept...and users were looking for an easy answer to technology which they did not understand but wanted to employ.

IMO...such tools have not been needed for a very long time now...and may actually serve to create problems for users who install/employ such on today's O/Ses.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.  Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry :

“The Windows registry stores all application settings in one logical repository (but a number of discrete files) and in a standardized form.  The registry contains important configuration information for the operating system, for installed applications as well as individual settings for each user and application. A careless change to the operating system configuration in the registry could cause irreversible damage, so it is usually only installer programs which perform changes to the registry database during installation/configuration and removal.  If a user wants to edit the registry manually, Microsoft recommends that a backup of the registry is performed before the change.  Editing the registry is sometimes necessary when working around Windows-specific issues e.g. problems when logging onto a domain can be resolved by editing the registry.  The Windows registry can be edited manually using programs such as regedit.exe, although these tools do not expose some of registry's metadata such as the last modified date.”

Put simply, the Windows registry is a central repository of information about all aspects of the

computer - in particular, its hardware, operating system, applications and users.

More per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner  :

“A registry cleaner is a class of third party software utility designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system, whose purported purpose is to remove redundant items from the Windows registry.

Registry cleaners are not supported by Microsoft, but vendors of Registry cleaners claim that they are useful to repair inconsistencies arising from manual changes to applications, especially COM-based programs.  The necessity and usefulness of registry cleaners is a controversial topic, with experts in disagreement over their benefits. The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.

There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat". Even a neglected registry will seldom contain more than two or three thousand redundant entries. Bearing in mind that the modern registry may contain more than a million entries, the elimination of two or three thousand will not save any noticeable amount of scanning time.  Some registry cleaners make no distinction as to the severity of the errors, and many that do may erroneously categorize errors as "critical" with little basis to support it. It.  Removing or changing certain registry data can prevent the system from starting, or cause application errors and crashes

A poorly-designed registry cleaner may not be equipped to know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This may lead to loss of functionality and/or system instability.  While it is true that some registry cleaners are safe, these cleaners do not improve performance. The rest are a mix of snake-oil, actual malware, or dangerously powerful tools unsuited to non-professionals.”

For the reasons pointed out above and others…BC does not encourage/suggest that any member employ…a registry cleaner/optimizer.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks hamluis for the well explained cause and effect of using such registry/optimizer software cleaner. :)

@ sudsy -

Please go to power options and look for Advanced Settings for the hard disk and try turning off hard disk for a particular duration. Any changes?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Resolved.

I ran a system backup that was saved last November.Yes and all the MS updates too I had to reload a few things and reorganize my desktop but all is well now. The application that I BOUGHT, "TuneUp One Click Maintenance 2013" was recommended on another forum that I follow, was not the problem and I have reinstalled it. What I did find was that my Outlook Email account name had been changed and the .pst files were no longer properly associated with the correct files. After I fixed that everything is back to normal. I now think my quick response to the problems I had with the unsecured public network where this all started was the root of the evil. I rarely use this little net-book but it does get a lot of action during the camping season.

Sudsy

Edited by sudsy, 31 May 2013 - 08:05 PM.

UFO pilot

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thank you for letting us know the solution. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users