Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Hard Drive from One Computer to Another

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

My wife and I have owned two desktops for years now, one mine, the other hers.  Now she is in grad school and has purchased a laptop.  It is time to rid ourselves of one of our towers.  Here is what we have:

• Dell Dimension 8250
  • Dell Dimension E310

The 8250 has all of my files on its hard drive.  There are two partitions on it as well as all of the system files for windows and other programs.

My question.  What do I need to do to remove all redundant software and partitions off of the hard drive in the 8250 and then install that hard drive into the E310?

Thank you!

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hi

You can connect the Dell 8250 HDD as a slave drive in Dell E310. After connecting the new HDD, E310 will show all the partitions in that HDD. You can simply format the system drive of the slave hard disk to free the space. 

#3 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Thanks.  Anything specific to designate it a slave drive, or will that happen just by installing it?

#4 tcharleschapman

tcharleschapman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Also, for formatting the drive, is there anything, aside from my files I want, that I should keep on the hard drive?

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi

Here is the service manual of Dell E 310

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-3100_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Here is the service manual of Dell 8250

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-8250_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Before removing HDD, carefully read the manuals. You can ignore the steps to disassemble as we just want to remove the hard disk from one and connect to other. Now follow the below steps.

1 ) Boot to the Dell 8250 . Now copy all data you may stored in either desktop or documents to the second partition. 

2 ) Power of the 8250 and remove it's HDD. Refer the manual to know how to open the cover. Page 20 illustrates how to remove the HDD.

3 ) Connect the HDD to the empty slot E 310. You can borrow the data cable from old PC. Refer the manual to know how to fit it in the cabinet.

4 ) Boot the system and you will be able to see the system and data partitions of the slave HDD. Now format the system drive. You can use it to keep more data.

Here is a sample video. it is for another model but you will get a basic idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users