Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is SuperAnti-Spyware Junk?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 blueicetwice

blueicetwice

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hello to everyone!

I decided to scan our two rigs, at home, and see if there was any junk in the trunk...

It was almost an all day event, since I used about four different software programs using

both quick scan and full scan...

As I started my first quick scan with SAS, it recorded 19 different badware items.  Then I ran a full scan

and found over 1100 cookies on the machine. Of course I did not helf matters by not having an independent 

firewall and having turned off W7 housewall...

I cleared all the junk, which took a bleeping three hours! Nevertheless, I was pleased to see the scan finding

14 Trojans and 5 adware and installers (PUP) along with the 1,ooo plus cookies...

For the heck of it, I ran a second scan and it found several more Trojans and another PUP installer along with

about 600 plus cookies...Now this is rather strange, I thought..Ok, delete and repeat...

So a third scan was done, and damm over 240 cookies were logged...Deleted them as well...The only good thing

about the second and third deletion was it took only a minute or two...

Now it gets even stranger...Every time, I started the browser from sleep, SAS would start a d/l...This happen

three different times...

I tested by wife's rig with three quick and three full scans and had the same issues as I had with the scan of my

PC...I deleted the software on my wife's PC and decided to do a fresh install...Just like another member, hear at

bleeping, it would not install saying there was already a copy available...

Seriously, I have never encountered such a buggy software for over ten years...This program is absolutely one of

the worst I have every used...I do not even believe the test results...

This is one piece of software I would not recommend to anyone, not even to my two ex-wifes... 

Edited by blueicetwice, 28 May 2013 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hello blueicetwice -

SAS is considered to be a good Antimalware program by most people here, and at other forums.

The amount of Tracking Cookies removed can be high if your settings are not quite correct for blocking them.

Can you first make sure that Windows Firewall is turned on, and please list your main Browser(s).{I.E./ Chrome/ Firefox}

Some of the simple settings can prevent this many cookies from ever entering your system.

I use Internet Explorer 95% of the time, and most weekly scans from SAS are clean without even 1 Tracking Cookie shown.

This small program is 100% safe and can give us some good readings.

Download Security Check from Here or Here and save it to your Desktop.
*Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
*Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
*A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt;
*Please Copy / Paste the contents of that document back here.
NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE (or a similar process) access the Internet, please allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware is a good anti-malware program which offers technology to deal with some rootkit infections. In fact, we even have a tutorial here at BC written by the site owner: How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer

SUPERAntiSpyware will scan for cookies if you have it configured to do so. There is no need to do this as Cookies are NOT a "threat".As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. You can ignore scanning for cookies by changing the settings as noknojon noted. To do that, launch the program, click Preferences ... and under Scanning Options, uncheck the box Scan for tracking cookies, before performing any more scans.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

IMHO, when you run for the first time, just perform full scan. Keep quick scan for later.

#5 blueicetwice

blueicetwice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

Aussie, thank you for the tips...When I find some time, I shall take up your advice!

I have gone into Chrome and tighten the cookie setting, however, some site will not

work without them (newegg; amazon)...

Herr Moderater,  I will give SAS another try following your instruction...I do not want, however,

any tracking cookies as I find them annoying.. 

Romeo, I will try the quick scan first...

​Thank you all for your thoughtful comments! 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Anti-malware scanners have more important functions to do rather than spend the added time and vital resources looking for cookies. If you are concerned about them, then you can minimize the number of cookies which are stored on your computer by referring to:Third party utilities to Manage (view & delete) Cookies:

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

CCleaner has a setting that allows you to keep cookies from some sites that you can specify. After adding a domain for which you want to keep the cookies, you can use CCleaner to clean the cookies. It will leave the cookies for those sites alone. This way you would get rid of all the cookies but the ones you want to keep.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Edited by Romeo29, 30 May 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#8 blueicetwice

blueicetwice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Herr Moderator, I will review all of your links...Thank you!

Romeo, tanks for the tips...I did install CCleaner and did a scan...Excellent idea to whitepage need cookie sites, of which I have several...

Today, I re-installed SAS and ran two quick scans...No issues installing and in both tests no objects were found...  :bananas:

Edited by blueicetwice, 30 May 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#9 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

I've always found it to be a decent scanner, and I love that they offer a portable version, unlike Malwarebytes.

Though I think now-a-days I'd use the EMSIsoft Emergency Kit over SAS for malware removal.

Edited by WhiteZero, 31 May 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#10 blueicetwice

blueicetwice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

WhiteZero, what is it you like in the EMS kit?

#11 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

WhiteZero, what is it you like in the EMS kit?

It's free, portable, and seems to have a very high detection rate.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

The Emsisoft Emergency Kit contains a collection of portable programs that can be used without installation in order to scan for malware and attempt to clean infected computers. However, it does not have the ability to deal with rootkits so its effectiveness is limited.

#13 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

The Emsisoft Emergency Kit contains a collection of portable programs that can be used without installation in order to scan for malware and attempt to clean infected computers. However, it does not have the ability to deal with rootkits so its effectiveness is limited.

Very true. And I guess this is probably why Malwarebytes dosen't have a portable version. Because it needs to install those OS-level features to take out rootkits.

#14 blueicetwice

blueicetwice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

WhiteZero & Herr Moderator, I may use this item as I have ordered an UBS stick because I want

to experiment with live discos Linux...

I did do a scan with EEK and found five hits; two keylogger wintective and three pc police...

The scan took just short of an hour and all bugs were removed.

I also scanned my wife's machine and found both Android exploit PSNA and zergrush, which

could not be removed.

This is one of numerous reasons why I would like to move to a Linux OS... 

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE: After using any security tools always be cautious of scanning results before taking action. Why? If you recognize any of the detections as legitimate programs, it's possible they are "false positives" and you can ignore them or get a second opinion if you're not sure. Some scanners have high detection rates because the scanning engine looks for files (including legitimate ones) which it considers suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat, or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case.

If you don't recognize the detection or you're unsure about it, then get a second opinion. Go to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:--In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.

If the results are indicative of malware, then its safe to remove the detection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users