Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates On Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kkbutters

kkbutters

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

I have a Dell 4600c with Windows XP. While out of town, my mother-in-law used the computer and now I have numerous problems. When I try to update my computer I get a message that the "update for windows XP" and the "microsoft windows installer" were unsuccessfully installed. Because of this I cannot re-install my Norton security which has expired. Also, I cannot print from the internet and I cannot access my e-mail from my computer. When I type in my user name and password, the address stays the same but then has a ? mark at the end of the address and it says Done at the bottom like I have been connected to my e-mail. I can go to web addresses on the internet but I cannot use my search engines. When I contacted my internet IT dept., they said it sounded like a software or browser problem. Does anyone have any ideas before I contact Dell at approx $79 per hour?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

Try to restore to a date BMIL(before mother-in-law).
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

That is Windows XP System Restore accessed by going to programs>accessories>system tools>system restore and run the System Restore wizard picking a date before the problem began.

If that doesn't work (if you do not have a System Restore date from before the problem began) you can use Dell's Restore which is accessed in the following manor:

Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 7/16/2004 in the Americas and 8/30/2004 in Europe.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&c=us&cs=&s=gen

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 April 2006 - 09:17 PM.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

Be forewarned that Dell's restore will wipe out all your programs, documents and programs and return the computer to the state that it was when you first purchased it. Be sure to do a data backup beforehand. You may want to run the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' to save your desktop and other OS settings. Use it once for each user account you have set up on the machine.
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users