Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall antivirus or antispyware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 secure_k

secure_k

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am trying to install windows security essentials after finding my computer got infected.
My problem is I am not sure what I am to uninstall ......AVG, Norton, etc are self explanatory
what about Windows Defender or firewall?  I am not sure what programs are to be included
as antivirus, antispyware or any other Internet security program. I have already removed virus.
So frustrating trying to figure out what means what? :smash:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,708 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Firewall is a separate piece from AV programs.

You have to have 1 AV program and 1 firewall.

If you're installing MSE you don't have to worry about Windows Defender as MSE will disable it by default.

On a side note...

Windows Defender is not an AV program and it can run along any AV program.

Windows Defender is pretty much useless so most people keep it disabled anyway.

Note for Windows 8 users.

MS likes to make things confusing so in Windows 8 Windows Defender is renamed MSE.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 NoHz

NoHz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

If your looking for added antispyware/internet security that wont interfere with your Antivirus, I'd recommend SpywareBlaster. It tightens security for your browsers and places thousands of reported attack sites in a block list.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

The version of Windows Defender included with all versions of Windows 7 and Vista is part of the operating system so it cannot be uninstalled. However, it can be disabled and it's service turned off.

Windows Defender is turned on by default in Windows 7 and Vista. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs (including Microsoft Security Essentials as noted by Broni) to disable Defender to avoid conflicts. If you uninstall your existing anti-virus and replace it with another brand, the settings may change...whereby Defender and its service becomes enabled again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 secure_k

secure_k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thank you all for patient understanding of my....lack of knowledge

I have already learned something valuable about Windows Defender!

I am hoping Windows Security Essentials handles any security I am

needing....we shall see

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,708 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

thumbsup-thumbs-up-approve-ok-smiley-emo

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 ManyQs

ManyQs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

I don't think I want to offer ideas about this-or-that product is better than those, and so on.  Opinions are varied and depend upon one's own experience, but one thing I know for a fact is that every vendor leaves behind bits-and-pieces of their product no matter how you uninstall a product.

Firstly, just relying on the uninstall utlity in Windows is not so good.

Now I might be worng and on your unit, secure_k, and you may do an uninstall of a given product and like magic everything actually disappears (and that would be magic), BUT the first step for you after you have uninstalled a product is to go into Program Files and Program Data and see if any of that company's folders are still there -- even empty folders.  That's not a difficult task at all.  Very easy.  I see your topic was moved out of the XP area, so what OS are you running on that unit?

Anyway, you might need to take a trip to that company's website and get their special uninstall utility and use that.  Or poke around here and see who has provided a set of links for those special uninstall utilities.  I think every company has made their own uninstall utility.  At least the major players in the business have.

BUT that still leaves the bits and pieces in the registry and that, from my own experience/research, can be quite a few bits.

So then the question becomes one of whether you want to clean the registry; whether you need to clean the registry; and how to do it, if you so wish.

Lots and lots of folks never worry about cleaning the registry and all is just fine for them for a fair number of years.  Registry cleaning can be done safely and without causing harm.  You read all sorts of horror stories, but if you pay attention and get some good advice it can be done. 

Why you might want to clean the registry is that sometimes even bits and pieces can cause problems.  In addition, if you are like me and try to keep a unit running for way past its natural life you need to keep the registry clean.  I still have some TRS80s stored away, so that lets you know I try to use everything to the end of ... well, sliding off-topic -- sorry.

So, uninstalling takes a little homework, is the key point of my post.

And don't mind if you don't have experience.  Everybody didn't have experience in the beginning.  You learn by doing.  And uninstalling an ant-virus product can be one fime learning experience.

Edited by ManyQs, 30 May 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hello -

My problem is I am not sure what I am to uninstall

If you run this small program that we use, it may show if there are still traces of older Antivirus programs installed

Download Security Check from Here and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt;
* Please Copy / Paste the contents of that document back here.
NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE (or a similar file) access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users