Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow download and upload speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Calebvision

Calebvision

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

"Hi! I"m aComcast customer. In the house we have two desktops. Both are old. Mine is from 2004 ( I  have made some "upgrades" to it ) and has very slow download and upload speeds. My daughter's is from 2005 or so and is considerably faster. My laptop is fine. I suspect that hers is too. 

Any suggestions has to what could be the problem with my desktop and how I may be able to make it  a bit faster?

Edited by Calebvision, 28 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Do you have any Comcast branded programs installed on the computer? Comcast does not have a stellar history when it comes to branded software.  Everything they've come out with and branded seems to cause issues for some people.

What modem do you have? If it is an older modem it can cause what you describe. However, since you say the laptops are fine I'm doubtful the modem is the culprit.

If you have a router it seems as if that would cause all computers to suffer.

Is your desktop connected directly to your router or do you connect it wirelessly?

I'm grasping at straws here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 May 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#3 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

No Comcast "stuff". Desktop connected to router, directly!

Modem is recent, I think!

I was told that Network card could be the culprit! Any thoughst on that thory?

I appreciate the "grasping at straws"!

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

You can check your modem here http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

If it's docsis 2 or 3 it is recent.

The reason I mentioned the modem is that there are still end-of-life modems in use. And as I stated it's not likely to be the cause since not all computers are affected. If they were I would refer you to the connection experts at the Comcast help forum.

As for the network card someone else will have to answer that. The only thing I can say about it is that anything is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users