Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Opening Multiple Instances

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Debby

Debby

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

I just don't know where else to post this problem, I have done many different searches & read tons of posts... none are like this one that I can find, both on this forum and other forums. If I'm posting in the wrong place please forgive me.

Computer is on dial up... all updates are completed, it's a legal version of WinXP Home on a fairly new Dell desktop. I have ran every possible cleaner I can find.. and done virus scans with AVG, and Panda Online, etc... Finds NOTHING.

The problem: not every day, but some days.... when the PC is turned on.... and user click their name, startup files & everything loads... and then suddenly there will be anywhere from 56-75 IE Explorer windows that will open up (this is before connecting to ISP) Same thing happens occasionally with Solitaire game... she will click it 1 time to start the game & 50-75 instances of it will startup.

HELP !!! It's driving me nuts & the people who own the PC say the Dell came without restoration CD's. There seems to also be no good dates to use System Restore to go back to before the problem appeared.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

the people who own the PC say the Dell came without restoration CD's

I just wanted to comment on this one point. A lot of computers are being shipped these days without restoration cds. Instead, the manufacturer has installed the restore feature on a 'Hidden Partition' on the computer which can be accessed by hitting a key at boot up, usually F10 or F12. Typically you are allowed to copy the files from this hidden partition onto cds once.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

Do you have Weatherbug installed? READ THIS

You could very well be infected with malware. It is defintely worth checking out. I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however, follow the steps outlined may cure your ills.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

EDIT: PERSONAL NOTE: This was my 800th post! :thumbsup:

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 12 April 2006 - 09:27 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Debby

Debby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thanks! I'll follow the instructions... soon as I pick up the PC... gotta get my taxes done first... might be a day or so :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users