Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Quest For Immortality

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

http://jwbats.blogspot.com/2006/01/quest-f...mmortality.html

Aubrey de Grey is a scientist with The Methuselah Foundation. He's got a background in computer science. He has used his engineering mindset to come up with an engineering approach to stop the aging process dead in its tracks (pun intended). This will allow humanity to stay young forever and live an indefinate lifespan.

After I read the article the only thing I had to say was Wow!

However, is it really necessary?

Do you want your great great grandparents around when you have grandkids?

We already have enough problem with 3 generations!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 amy1584

amy1584

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

Hmm, interesting. But until they figure out how to actually stop aging via genetic tinkering etc., the only thing that has actually been proven to slow the aging process as of yet is a calorie restricted diet. (See, for example, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...DTL&type=health ) Interesting.

#3 Jan-Willem

Jan-Willem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

Yano,

All such concerns you express are covered by Aubrey de Grey on his SENS site.

Just check http://www.sens.org/concerns.htm.

Greetz,

Jan-Willem (indeed... I'm the guy that wrote the piece :thumbsup:)

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

Nah, think Ill pass I want to die (just not now). I mean what is the true point of life if it could never end. It would be cool for a while then it would get old like a book that never ends. The only way who could theroitically die is by a diease or bodily harm.

Posted Image

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

ONLY Jesus can give eternal life and all you have to do to get is is ask.

#6 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:08 AM

However, is it really necessary?

That question is moot. It isn't necessary for the average human lifespan to be anything more than 25. People survived for a long time with much shorter lifespans than we have today.

Do you want your great great grandparents around when you have grandkids?

Yes. Why wouldn't I? Especially if they're still able to maintain their health at that age. I think anybody who has had death in the family would like some respite from grief, religion notwithstanding.

We already have enough problem with 3 generations!!!

To quote a hip-hop 'song', "Mo money, Mo problems". My response is that these are problems I could get used to.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

I really don't think immortality is a good idea. The world and environment can't really contain the population at the current growth rate anyway. Imagine if you take away death. Instead of a relatively simple exponential population increase, it'd balloon until there was no room left.

There'd also be the question of decision making and government regulations. Imagine a world where Hitler or Mussilini (sp?) were still alive. Granted, they died from non-natural causes, but a lot of countries have leaders that stay in power until their death.

All i know is that i don't want to live forever, and i don't want anyone i know to live forever...

Oh, and CGM, we're talking about the biological, proven existance. In no way is the afterlife involved, since, if the immortality thing would come to pass, it would be disregardable (is that a word?)

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 16 April 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#8 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

I really don't think immortality is a good idea. The world and environment can't really contain the population at the current growth rate anyway

It wouldn't happen for the whole world. As with most technological advances, only the wealthiest individuals could afford it at first. So the population increase wouldn't be drastic at al.

#9 Jan-Willem

Jan-Willem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

Nah, think Ill pass I want to die (just not now).

That's also how you'll feel about it when you're 90.

Would you really say no to another 10 years of life if given the opportunity on your day of death?

All standard-concerns expressed in previous posts have already been addressed @ http://www.sens.org/concerns.htm.

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

A big question (if this thing comes to be reality....) is WHEN would you like to obtain immortality? Wouldn't you have to choose an age that you want you body to remain? I don't really want to live forever (or even much longer) when i'm in my late years...

#11 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

I will already live forever. I was bitten by a vampire and now I will live forever with superhuman strengths.

That is how dumb the idea of imortality is. I do not think that it is possible.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

Even if immortality were possible, how would the mind (or human spirit, if you prefer) cope with not only the immense knowledge that it would acquire, but all the memories it would---or would NOT---retain? The existential questions certainly deserve some thought.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

The biggest problem with immortality is not population control. It is BOREDOM!!!
After a few millenia you literally would have Been there. Done that." There would truly be "nothing new under the sun" to quote Solomon and other wise men of note. At 34 I'm already dealing with some physical problems due to age and lifestyle. I'd rather not have to deal with them forever.

Even if the ageing process could be halted, the mind (I think) would not be able to cope with the cultural changes after a period of time.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#14 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

The first quest for immortality begans in March of 1513 when Juan Ponce de Leon, a spanish conqueror, organized an expedition to find the Fountain of Youth :thumbsup: . When he arrived to the local, he thought he had landed on an island and he named it Florida because he saw lots of flowers.
So, if it exists, must be on the State where Mr. Jeb Bush is the Governor. For your welfare I hope he doesn't find it. :flowers:

Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

To live forever.

The idea seems very enticing. No one WANTS to die. Not really.

I think jgweed has an excellent point. We really have no idea how that would effect the psyche. I think that even if the body could live forever, the mind could not. You'd wind up with an immortal but insane population. What good is that?

Why can't scientists just let life alone? Why do they think they have to know everything and change everything? Nothing can remain a mystery, nothing can be as it should. IMHO I think they ought to put their efforts toward more worthwhile endeavors. Like solving world hunger, a cure for cancer... get real.

The idea of my grandchildren's grandchildren, the idea of knowing them and being alive when they are just makes me tired LOL

If we are never going to die then how can we strive to live? if there is no fear of death then how do we live our lives. Imagine having to go to work and earn a living.. FOREVER!

Mwahahahaha!!!! Too Funny!

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users