Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting "Strike f1 to retry boot" message

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 screen_name

screen_name

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm running Windows 7 on a DELL XPS.

Before this happened a disk scan was running and I reset the computer before it was finished. It restarted the first time, but by the time I got back to the computer it was on the "Strike f1 to retry boot" screen.

I've tried turning on CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK & SCROLL LOCK and hitting ALT -E,F,B, but that did not seem to work. I don't know if I did the combination work or something, but I tried a variety of combos and none of them seemed to work. 

I also tried reloading the default settings in the Boot options menu and that did not seem to help either. I've read resetting the BIOS is a possible solution, but I'm not sure what the next step is at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

* UPDATE: I just ran a diagnostics test and it said Error Code 0141 - No Drive Detected

Edited by screen_name, 28 May 2013 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hi screen_name,

Hard Drive Error code 0141 indicates that the hard drive is not detected by the system. You will need to reseat the hard drive and run the diagnostics again; the hard drive needs to be replaced if the same error is displayed again.

You can refer the service manual for instructions to reset the hard drive by punching in the Service Tag by visiting the following link:
http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/ShowProductSelector

Please let me know about your findings.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 screen_name

screen_name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hey Rajath, how are you doing? Thanks for your reply.

I found the manual online at: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-9100_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

They have instructions for removing and replacing the hard drive, but nothing about resetting it. If you don't mind, could you let me know if it is in there somewhere, or am I just missing something?

Either way, thank you very much for your help and support. I really appreciate it.

#4 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi screen_name,

Thank you for your reply and I am doing good.

You will need to remove the power, data cable from the hard drive and connect it back properly. Check if the hard drive is detected in the BIOS. The hard drive needs to be replaced if it is not detected.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#5 screen_name

screen_name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hey Rajath, thanks for the help.

I unplugged the power and data  cable, and still got "strike f1 to retry boot" message after I plugged everything back in and turned it back on.

I don't see it detected anywhere by the BIOS. Is there anything I can do to repair the hard drive, or does that mean it is done aside from extracting it via an external enclosure or as slave drive?

In the manual it says you can use the "Dell DataSafe Local Backup to restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased your computer, while preserving the data files." Would running that help with this issue, or is that an entirely different manner?

I'd be happy to follow any advice you had, and want to thank you again for your support.

Edited by screen_name, 29 May 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#6 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi screen_name,

Thank you for reply and for providing an update on the status. Unfortunately, the hard drive needs to be replaced, as it was not detected in the BIOS after reseating it. You can restore the image on to a new hard drive of the same capacity, if you have created Backup disks using Dell DataSafe Local Backup.

You will need to install a copy of Windows from the Windows installation disk, if the backup disk was not created.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#7 screen_name

screen_name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hey Rajath. I called DELL and they are someone over to repair the hard drive this week. However, I'd still like to try and get the data off the old one before he comes, as I believe it is a software problem, not a hardware issue. 

I'm going to try the Thermaltake Max 5 Drive tonight in hopes of saving the lost data.

I also booted Ubuntu from a USB and when I shut down this appeared:

"error: read_inode_bitmap SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block..."

then it said "unable to read fragment cache entry and then unable to read page, block..."

now is saying "FAT-fs (sda1): unable to read inode block for updating" and going down a long list of them

Any thoughts on what this means?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hi screen_name

That error messages are saying Ubuntu Kernel can't read and mount the HDD partitions. Which means your HDD is in a pretty bad shape.  

#9 screen_name

screen_name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hi Anshad. Thanks for the quick reply.

Attached is a screenshot of the error message. It is up to FAT-fs (sda1) 8080 now and still going.

What do you think the next step here would be as far as trying to recover the data?

Attached Files

Edited by screen_name, 03 June 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi

Since there are a lot of bad sectors, recovering data is difficult. You can try Spinrite (commercial) which may be able to help you. But it requires a lot of time and patience. I recommend running it overnight. Trying to run normal data recovery tools on that HDD may make the problem worse. But Spinrite is specially designed to deal with failing hard disks.To know what is spinrite and how to use it, visit the below link.

https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 June 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#11 screen_name

screen_name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks. I will check this out.

It is still going through the "FAT-fs (sda1): unable to read inode block for updating" messages. It is on 39200 or something by now. What should I do to make this stop?

#12 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hi screen_name,

Thank you for providing an update on the status. The hard drive may have developed bad sectors that is causing the read errors. You may have to contact professional Data Backup Experts and check if is possible to recover data from the hard drive.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#13 screen_name

screen_name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Installed a new hard drive yesterday, so the computer is back to normal.

I also put the old hard drive in an external enclosure and it didn't show up on either computer I tried it on. I plugged it into the back USB ports and still got nothing on either one.

So I assume data recovery is the next step?

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi

Unfortunately professional data recovery is the only remaining way . 

http://www.vantagetech.com/blog/data-recovery-services/choosing-a-data-recovery-company/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 05 June 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#15 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hi screen_name,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update. Yes, you will need to recover the data through a professional data recovery service and can check the link provided by Anshad for the options.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users