Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DivineComedy

DivineComedy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

This problem seemed to start only a couple days ago but it has really taken its toll. Every program I have run ends up crashing at some point and I am presented with the "Program not responding" window and have to close the program. Every time this happens the details show that a ".dll" is at fault. The problem first showed itself in my Valve Steam games but now affects my internet browsers and recently turns off my Microsoft Security Essentials without warning causing me to manually turning everything back on. My computer has restarted itself without permission a few times but hasn't done so lately. I have ran a virus scan and a malware scan using two different softwares but to no avail. Before coming to forum help I have run ComboFix already but the problem still exists....Any help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated as I'm out of ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Combofix is a utility that is best used with supervision by an experienced person who knows what fixes are best in a particular situation.

Freeze-ups and system not responding issues can be attributed to hardware experiencing heat issues above the allowable threshold.

Things to check are processor temperature, video card temperature and power supply temperature. All of those can be effected by heat and heat causes instability in circuits that oscillate to make the system function.

My suggestion is to try a program that monitors system temperatures and see if those rise to the threshold.

One of these programs will do the trick:

Speed Fan                    http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

HWMonitor                    http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

There is a possibility that Malware is hiding on your system, I'd suggest using one of these programs to monitor what processes are currently running.

Process Monitor              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Process Explorer             http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Once you have those on your system start the program and monitor what is using the most resources.

Also, it would not hurt to re-seat your RAM modules, sometimes they loose some of their connection due to oxidation of the metals.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 May 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Oh and one other thing I thought of, have you defragged your hard drive lately?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 DivineComedy

DivineComedy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I honestly don't think this computer has ever been defragged. After running Speed Fan it seems the highest temperature being the GPU is 35 C which seems normal to me. As for Process Monitor I'm not too sure what it is all telling me. Also, unfortunately my computer has taken to restarting whenever it wants to again. I am curious if the fact it is always a .dll failure can narrow down the problem? Though I'm not sure why that would cause system restarts out of the blue.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

You should defrag your hard drive at least once a week. Some say once a month, but I disagree with that because system restore points and cache folders can cause a lot of fragmentation on a computer that is used more than 3 to five hours a day.

Let's try this and I'll take a look at your processes.

Please Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
from the link posted above and save it to your desktop.

Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip to a folder of your choice. You should have 3 files, the Eula, a help file and a file called procexp.exe.
Double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
In the Menu bar, Click on View > then Select Colunms which is located at the bottom of this list.
A Select Columns box will appear on your screen. In addition to the already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line box is also checked off, then press OK.
Next, in the menu bar click File> then Save As,(Note: by default a text file named System Idle Process will be created) you can also save it as Procexp.txt.
Once you have created this text file, click Add Reply to this topic.

Look for a black button located below the text field with the words ATTACH THIS FILE, then click BROWSE, locate the text file you just created and attach it to your post, then click the add reply button.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 May 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

I am also going to jump ahead and hope you do not over look post number 5 above.

It often happens that the different programs you install on a Windows operating system can share one or more .dll files between them. so that you have a clearer understanding, .dll files contain code and data that are used by multiple programs on any windows based computer. This is a very good way of doing things, however, at times when you uninstall one particular program, a .dll file that it shares with another program might also be incorrectly removed with the program. This is not good because this little missing file will give you the "Missing .dll File" error you are currently recieving, which can also cause a lot of different programs to stop working once this .dll is missing.

This happens, because the other programs that use the shared file will continue to look for that missing .dll. This usually happens during the startup process, causing a program to crash and you just end up with a lot of useless frustration. Reinstalling a program usually rectifies this problem, however this can also be avoided by just reinstalling that one .dll file that has gone missing. I will briefly discuss how you can reinstall any missing .dll files.

Step 1: Is to get ahold of that file that is missing. There are a lot of resources online where you can download the .dll files you need to re-install. Some of the popular ones are www.dll-files.com, www.dlldump.com and www.dlldll.com. These Web sites maintain a comprehensive database of useful .dll files that users can download.

Step 2: Once you download the .dll files, you'll need to uncompress that in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder. (You can get there by going to My Computer, C: drive and so on). Next, click the Start button and go to Run or you can press the Windows key + R. Either way, the Run box should pop up. Now, say you want to install a .dll file named "run32.dll." In that case, type in “regsvr32 run32.dll” and press Enter. You can follow that same example for any .dll file you need to find.

So, it's essentially “regsvr32" with the name of the .dll file inserted in. If the file has been installed properly, you will see a box telling you that everything has gone well.

To recap:

1.) Download the required .dll files that are missing.

2.) Extract it to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

3.) Execute the "regsrv32" command by using the Run dialogue box.

Hope this helps you recover from this missing .dll error.

Edit: Corrected paragraph spacing.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 May 2013 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users