Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NO Sound, DXDiag shows No Sound Card Installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Good Morning All,

I have a HP Pavilion g7-1260us laptop that the sound just recently quit working on.  In the previous weeks, it has been intermittent, meaning if I start the pc up and there is no sound, then I reboot a few times and it comes back, now there is nothing.  

The error is the Speaker Icon with a red X over it stating "No Audion Output Device is installed".  I believe it is a driver issue, I went into device manager and tried to update driver, it says that I have the most up-to-date driver.  I have also went to the HP website and entered the model number and found my list of drivers, but when I click the audio + it shows a IDT HD Audio Driver ti prompts me to download which I do.  But While I am trying to install it, it aborts the installation by saying that I do not meet the hardware requirements (See below as to why I think I don't meet the requirements).

So I ran the dxdiag utility to see my sound card info and when I clicked on the Sound tab it says, "No sound card was found, if one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer".

I have also checked Device Manager to see if anything shows up under sound; there are 2 things; Cyberlink WebCam Virtual Driver and Intel Display Audio.  

My question is do you think it is a driver issue and more importantly any steps that I may be able to use to fix it.  Do you think setting it back to factory will solve any issues?

P.S. I also googled this topic and found this to be a common problem with HP

Thanks!!

Edited by panthersfan25, 28 May 2013 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

This is just me:

Sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem.

To verify this you might go into programs and features and delete all of the audio driver files, shut down, startup and reinstall just the latest drivers as recommended by HP.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hi

From the description you given, i suspect a hardware failure. Do the following steps to confirm -

- Enter BIOS setup by pressing F10 during power on. Now load default values and exit. Check if the system can detect audio device. If not, verify if there is anything in yellow exclamation mark in device manager.

- Download a small sized Linux distro like Puppy . Boot from the live Linux CD and check if sound works.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

#4 panthersfan25

panthersfan25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I tried the recommendations, but to no avail.  I believe the sound card is faulty, I did open the case and go all the way down to the motherboard, because someone had said that the soldering was bad on theirs and I was just wondering if that was the case, but it didn't appear to be damaged at all.  I am purchasing an external sound card USB and getting a set of speakers and just going that route, it appears that will be the cheapest route.

Thanks Again for the Input!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users