Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INTRODUCTION

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jim Dorso

Jim Dorso

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Good Evening, all.

I'm trying to follow instructions, so when I reach the proper forum, I'll have plenty of details to ask about.

Meanwhile, in the way of introduction, I could be referred to as an old sailor, having retired in 1972 from 25 years in the Navy. None of my experience there involved the direct use of computers. In later years, I started with a computer running DOS, and then have had a series of such machines,starting with the original Windows and proceeding through each stage to where I am now, with Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) on an HP p7-1220 Pavillion.

Through all that, however, I've had no formal computer training,relying instead on help from various sources.

On April 1 of last year, I purchased this current machine, including one year's "help". I had little need for that assistance, since everything ran somewhat smoothly once I got through transferring stuff from my earlier Windows XP model. Just before the end of that year, at HP's urging, I purchased an extended service contract for another year.

On the third day of the new service contract, I had the need to call for service. A new program I was installing simply would not install. I went to HP for help, and before I could finish explaining my problem, my "helper" out there in India officiously informed me that they did not concern themselves with non-HP software. I asked to speak to his supervisor and was told to hold the line and he's be with me shortly. After almost twenty minutes, I hung up and went directly to HP in the US to cancel the new contract. (I later solved the problem issue by myself).

That's why I'm in this forum now, to get help which I currently need in a big way, and to help where I can if I see issues I've dealt with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users