Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLEASE! LAPTOP ACTING UP AND NEED IT FOR WORK

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oreofudge

oreofudge

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

I have an HP Pavilion dv8000 running XP with I believe SP3 and major updates until end of last year!

I started to see probs happening then, as soon as fan started to whirl up really fast, the laptop just shut off, at times it just shuts off itself as soon as it was powered on... I have to put it to use again like "today"... so powered it on yesterday, everything went well, updated Zone Alarm, Acrobat and it may have updated some XP files, but don't know which... after having to restart it... it picked up the same prob as before, it shuts off when the fan whirls up... and haven't been able to bring it back to life since yesterday... read that in some cases I would need to reset the CMOS, for which I followed instructions to remove the battery for ten minutes or so, reinserted and restart it... after that it just won't go beyond the "loading personal settings" window and it either stays there forever, or it shuts off a real long while after once the fan revs up!... have tried in Safe Mode with no results... there's only one user with admin privileges and the guest account... neither opens in regular mode... and in safe mode appears the user and the administrator, but when logging in trying to use the admin user, it says the password is wrong... won't have at hand a Windows CD until Tuesday, but really need to try any other fix ASAP... I'm pretty fam with computers, but this is bugging the heck outta me!... PLEASE HELP since I need to return the laptop I'm now writing with ASAP too!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Please try the hard drive diagnostics test if the laptop has one built-in and see if it passes the short and long test. It may also have been experiencing high temperature readings prior that could have cause this problem in the first place and which it needs to be disassembled, cleaned, dusted and reapply some fresh grease for the processor and GPU. Hopefully these are the only problem as this method could still save laptop from becoming a paperweight.

Tekken

#3 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

...Thanks for your reply, but let me give you an update on what I've done; I decided to come to terms with that laptop, so went ahead and reinstalled Windows on it from scratch, reformated the hard drive but saw that when using an XP Professional CD it allowed me to use more space in the hard drive (300gb) than when trying to install XP Home, which allowed me 200gb of space, give or take. This only helped as to being able get the puter up and running. Although the shut downs still go on, they do with much less frequency. I will follow your instructions as per the hard drive diagnosis, as well as disassembling the puter and do some spring cleaning inside... would it be possible that a faulty battery or adapter have something to do with the shutting down prob?... meanwhile, I will do as you suggest, thanks again.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

would it be possible that a faulty battery or adapter have something to do with the shutting down prob?

One of two things, and yes. But it would be more clear if you were able to monitor the hardware temperature using one of the free softwares like HWMonitor. Usually old batteries that are needed replacements are notified during initial boot-up or a notification in system tray is displayed. Try using the AC adapter only then with the battery and see if the problem exist on both case.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users