Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow download speeds suddenly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HoloTheWise

HoloTheWise

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

OK here is my issue. I am rocking a 111 mbit connection, which is pretty decent as far as internet goes in New Jersey. It preformed very well for a while. One of the main things I do is download anime, and upload it to my cloud (pogoplug) to watch later. Then usually when I downloaded to watch it I got 10Mbps so a episode was on my pc in 1 minute max. 

But as of about a week or two ago, the speed droped, alot. I now get 50kbps - 100 kbps MAX!!!! 

I try the same file on other computer on the network and get the same resault (my main computer is a wired connection, gigabit port) still no good.

I then went to, Mcdonands and used their public wifi, and I downloaded the same file and maxed out their speed @ 2.5Mbps. I then tried the same file on my vpn, hitting up to 20Mbps. So it obviously is not the cloud providers fault. I tried to contact them, but they had to send it to senior support... 

I thought it may have been my router and disconnected it and connected my desktop right to my modem - no difference. I even power cycled and sent a refresh signal to my box, still no dice. 

I have no clue what to do someone please help me!!! Also I am attacking a video below for a better demonstration of the issue

http://youtu.be/_ZvhH5alxzI

Thanks

Edited by HoloTheWise, 28 May 2013 - 12:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

If you do a speed test do you get the same slow speeds no matter what you are doing online?  If so I would be contacting my internet provider and complaining about it as you are no doubt paying for much better speed.  I would run a few different speed tests and then take the issue to the ISP.  It is clearly an issue with the provider.  (At least I cannot think of anything else that could be causing the issue)

#3 HoloTheWise

HoloTheWise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

I called last night and the guy was clueless. all he wanted to do was send out a tech to my house... And I have comcast... The last few times techs have been to my house they have been clueless. Maybe I'll try to call again and maybe I'll get someone who has a clue. I figured it was an issue on my ISPs end but I was hoping someone would say "oh that's a small issue just do this"

Ok well thanks

#4 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

If it is any consolation (which I'm sure it isn't) ISPs in Kansas suck just as much, just that in some places around here there is no competition so they just don't care and let you know it.  I have seen them blame the user's hardware (the user's hardware was provided by the company) when over ten users around town had the exact same problem at the exact same time.  Somehow it was not their fault  :ranting:

#5 HoloTheWise

HoloTheWise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm pretty sure ips's in the us are like that... I guess we'll have to wait for Google fiber... Wait you live in Kansas don't they have Google fiber

#6 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

not in the middle of a cornfield lol, maybe in Kansas City, Topeka, or Wichita but I live in a tiny town.  Though I am going to look into it just out of curiosity now  :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users