Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adata C008 / 32GB Failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Dear Members,

I have a Adata C008/32GB Pen Drive It is Only 5 Months Old and it is failing already. The problem I have is when I insert it into my computer it

continually disconnects and reconnects in my computer and there is important data on it that is not yet backed up I have connected the device within a bootable environment using knoppix 6.5 Live CD and the pen drive stays connected but when you try and mount the pen drive it comes up with the following error;

Error <I> org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknownfailure /I<

What I have done So far;

• Tested the USB Ports / and used known good ones in the same port with no issue
  • Made sure the problems moves with the pen drive
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled pen drive drivers
  • Run windows trouble-shooter said it found a problem in the system and had fixed the problem
  •  Enabled it and disabled it in device manager still no joy

What can I now do to get back the data?

What steps can I take that I have not yet done?

What is likely to have gone on the pen drive the memory chip or controller card?

Any suggestion on what I can try just to get the data back is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

What You describe sounds like a failed solder joint in the pen drive.

I have seen that in many pen drives that have the USB port stick out of the plastic housing. Eventually the solder joints crack from the flexing caused by plugging and unplugging the drive.

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful using this advice as it can damage your pen drive permanently.

What I did was use a very fine tip soldering iron to resolder the four connections from the plug to the circuit board. That of course involves opening up the case carefully. in one case I had to resort to dismantling a USB cable and soldering on the wires as a replacement for the plug.

You can sometimes get your data off by holding the drive at the right angle so that the crack in the solder closes and completes the circuit.

That is what I have dealt with in the past.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

Thank you in advance Roger I thought this might be the case I will send it off for recovery and it can go back to the manufacture for a replacement.

Kind Regards

Bradley

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users