Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Clear Bad Cookies, But Not The Good Ones?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard93102

Richard93102

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

Hi,
I've read the info about cookies, but still have a basic question:
When I clear cookies, I don't want to clear everything... when I do that I'm clearing the bad and the good...

Could you please tell me how to exclude certain sites from having their cookies cleared? (e.g.forum log-in and password info., google, etc).

Thanks,
Richard
[size=6]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

The best program I have found that is efficient in that regard is ccleaner available at www.ccleaner.com. Free and has an "issues "tab that gets all those entries going nowhere.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

Many anti-spware applications, like Ad-AwareSE will identify "bad" cookies during their hard drive scan, and recommend these for deletion.
Firefox and Mozilla browsers make manual review and deletion of cookies rather easy; keep those from sites you recognise (e.g. Yahoo, NYT, BC, Borders, Best Buy) and delete the rest.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Richard93102

Richard93102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

thanks for the replies.

I have CCleaner, but it deletes everything.

Could you please tell me how to exclude certain sites from having their cookies cleared? (e.g.forum log-in and password info., google, etc).

Thanks,
Richard

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

Open CCleaner, and click on Options.
Click the Cookies tab.
In the box on the left, you'll see a list of the cookies you have on your machine.
The box on the right, is for the cookies you want to keep.
Between the two, are 2 arrows, one pointing right, and the other pointing left.
In the box on the left, click the cookie you want to save, then click on the arrow pointing to the right.
That will move the cookie to the protected side.
Do the opposite, to remove a cookie from the protected side
Anything on the right, will not be detected on a CCleaner scan, so any cookies reported, can be cleaned.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Richard93102

Richard93102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

Many thanks for the info on how to sort the cookies on CCleaner!!!
Yep, I'm all set now.
One other question: is it best to use CCleaner to delete (selected) cookies, then all History, and Temp files etc?
Which boxes/options are best left unchecked?
Cheers,
Richard

#7 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

As jgweed said. The best way I think is to use the Ad-Aware Personal/Plus/ or even Professional. It detects tracking cookies and will delete them. As well as getting rid of all the other bad adware and spyware stuff. Without getting rid of the good stuff.
William Montgomery Walters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users