Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Upgrade Or To Not Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

Hi everyone!!
My PC is now 1.5 years old and that time where I ask…should I sell it and get some cash or do some minor upgrades to get me through another year? I like to play games and do a bit of Photoshop, movie editing, multitask and have a dual display.

Current Specs

Athlon XP 2600+
1.25 Gig of DDR400 PC 3200
MB – Asus A7N8X-E (socket A CPU which I don’t think I can buy anymore?)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (awesome vid card!!)
2 SATA HD’s
2 IDE Only HD’s

thanks in advance for your replies.
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

What improvements are you thinking you need? That is a pretty solid system with what you have. I can't imagine that you are having any problems with games or anything (given your specs).

#3 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

I agree with Groov; what is your current set-up not able to run ????? your system still still has plenty of muscle. I will GUARANTEE you will not be happy with the slight perfromance increase you will gain even if you jumped into a socket 939 board with an AMD 3800 X 2 dual core. You would see a speed boost but I dont think you would appreciate the investment to gain ratio !!!!!!

Wait another year >>> wait until they get the bugs out of Vista (THE REAL 64 BIT WINDOWS) then a big dollar upgrade should be worth the money >>>> the bump from a 32 bit bus to a 64 bit bus should really ramp things up. But dont be in a hurry >>>> system and componet manufactures are putting alot of pressure on microsoft to release the new OS >>>> and I will bet it will be loaded with glitches at first >>> right now its a miserable struggle >>>> I know guys trying it

be patient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users