Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Startup Offline No Drivers error after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 InFuZiOn

InFuZiOn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Recently got this error and re-installed Windows 7. After downloading some of the updates(not all at once or anything like that but I think a 1/3 of them) and installing the updates I restarted and the computer froze while updating windows. I decided to go to work and leave it like that in case it was just taking longer or something like that but when I came home it was still at the same screen. After restarting it I tried to restore it to a previous point before the updates but that didnt work and finally was forced into system repair which tried several times but never succeeded until finally it threw this error:

fojb5e.jpg

2n27h3.jpg

I googled the error and was brought here. I downloaded and ran Farbar System Recovery Tool x64 and ran the scan and saved the log. I've uploaded the log file instead of copying it into the window and making it the post a mile long. Please help me out on what to do next and whats going on with my laptop. I've had to borrow my mom's to repair mine after relying on it when my desktop's mobo finally went out and I use my laptop for work and scheduling.

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST log attachment, not allowed or used in this forum...seemingly not applicable to problem - Hamluis.

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2013 - 06:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InFuZiOn

InFuZiOn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I don't understand why a mod removed my FRST log attachment when all the posts on this forum requested logs be posted to determine more about the problem?

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hi

FRST and DDS logs are only required for malware removal purposes. They are not allowed to post in this section. Anyway your propblem is not related to malware. Since you are having problems after doing a Windows update, you should try a system restore first.  You can use a Windows 7 setup DVD or system repair disc to restore the system. Read the below link for step by step instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

#4 InFuZiOn

InFuZiOn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

I actually tried doing system restore and every restore point including the very first failed and threw the same error until I'd restored it back to the very first point. I even went as far as to re-install Windows 7 with my genuine disc and still am having the problem.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi

Are you saying you are getting the same error after a clean install of Windows 7 or you tried to re-install but failed ?

Please post the  make and model of your laptop/PC. If it is a custom built PC, specify the details of components used. 

#6 InFuZiOn

InFuZiOn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

After reinstalling Windows everything was working fine up until the point that I tried to bring all the Windows updates to a current point then it began doing the same error again. 

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7052 purchased from Best Buy by my parents for a present from me. I probably would've gone with a different model myself but you know how it is. Anyways I'm unsure why I'm getting these problems straight from Windows updates but I thought maybe since it was such a fresh install of Windows that maybe it picked up a virus that deleted my startup registry?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi

Since the issue only happens after Windows update, i suspect you are installing a Windows update which not compatible to your system. Most probably it will be a driver update which is breaking your Windows. It is generally not recommended to update drivers from Microsoft update. They are generic ones and may not be suitable to your system. You should use the driver your laptop manufacturer provides.

Once again restore the OS. Next time when you are updating, don't pick optional updates and driver updates.

#8 InFuZiOn

InFuZiOn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

Well that's what I was originally thinking but the problem is it wasn't starting after doing optional updates and driver installs but rather when I was doing the important security/windows updates that protected the system not updated drivers :\

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hi

History shows security updates may also cause system crashes in some time. For example this http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-withdraws-kb-2823324-second-botched-automatic-update-year-216325

I suggest restore the OS and run the system 2 days without installing any updates. If it works fine install the updates but not all at a time. Install one or two updates at a time and check which one is causing the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users