Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading a Gateway GT5685E

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terrytek

terrytek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hey BleepingComputer Community,

I was wondering... Is my Gateway GT5685E with Windows Vista too old to upgrade its hardware? It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @2.4 GHz on LGA 775 package. All of the hardware is stock except the motherboard had to be replaced since it got fried.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well, you can upgrade components on it, the question is "Should you upgrade it?"  Another question:  Why do you want to upgrade it?

It is a bit too old for any sort of heavy gaming, but more than likely good enough for about everything else.  How much memory do you have?  Bumping memory to 4 gig can often make a machine quicker

The problem you run into is that certain items like memory are a dead end, as DDR2 cannot be carried forward to a new build.  I had two customers in similar circumstances running XP.  Both their machines ran 512meg for years and finally got bogged down with everyday tasks.  Both machines got 2gig upgrades and are actually enjoyable to use now.  Both customers wanted to keep their machines and don't plan on any near term upgrades to new units.

Time to realize though that your system is going on 4 generations old as far as the CPU goes.  Those old Core CPUs were great, but now even stuff like videos and internet browsing with all the background stuff running can slog it down.  It is not unusual to see older systems hitting 60-70% CPU utilization just browsing sometimes.

Things like SSDs and video cards can be carried over to new builds, which in my book, makes them less of a dead end.  That being said, insufficient memory is the #1 problem i run into on older machines.  Vista was the worst as some of those machines in the early days came with 1gig of memory when 2 gigs was barely enough to get the job done.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

This computer has an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.4 GHz with 4 gigs of ram

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/MSI/4006273R/4006273Rsp2.shtml

There's your board specs.

Question still stands: Why do you want to upgrade it?

Games/slow video performance?  Programs load too slow?  Sluggish?

You are at the point where saving up for a new system might be the right move.  Just depends on what your perceived problem is.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

It has Windows 8 right now and besides, the motherboard crashed, so it had to be replaced anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users