Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop won't start up....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mjc1027

mjc1027

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Hello,

I have a friend that has an HP Pavilion dv-4 laptop, that has Windows 7 as the O/S.  Two days ago she was using the laptop and Windows crashed.  She force shut down the laptop and left it overnight, today she started it up and it runs through the BIOS and through the Windows startup, and just freezes on the blue Windows screen right before the login.  She restarted the laptop and it advised to run the system recovery tool, it ran the tool but went straight through to the same Windows blue screen before login.

I took a look at it today, every stage of the Windows boot leads to the same issue, just stalls on the Windows blue screen before login.  I set up a Windows recovery disc, changed the BIOS so I could use the dvd-drive, and booted from the disc, it loaded the relevant files, but again went straight to the Windows blue screen before login.  I did notice a DOS type window appear very briefly, but too quick to be able to see what information was within the Window.  My friend did say that the laptop had been very hot the past couple of days...during the time I made the recovery disk on my computer, I had the laptop shut down...from the time I loaded the recovery disk and ran it in the laptop...it had become noticably hot, to the point I couldn't put it on my lap any longer.

All signs point to a failed hard drive, as I did not have the tools at the time, I have not been able to inspect the hardware inside the case.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hi mjc1027 :)

All signs point to a failed hard drive,

The drive seems to have gone south unfortunately but if ever the a replacement is in play since the recovery disc were made, please consider dusting the laptop internally and make sure to reapply a fresh thermal paste for the CPU and GPU chip also. The laptop manual may be available online or maybe a video would help - Google hp dv4 disassembly video.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users