Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp/ie Script? Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:25 PM

Windows XP/Internet Explorer problems:
Windows – Windows update from control panel or start menu, Windows search utility from
anywhere, user accounts from control panel, and system restore – all go to a blank
screen with the appropriate title bar and “Done” in the task bar. May or may not have
graphics displayed but NO text in display. There are NO error messages or alarm
messages.

IE – accessing microsoft.com goes to the site but attempts to access update screen displays the
same symptoms as discussed above. Unable to print from internet via IE. Various websites
are unable to open secondary pages which require scripts to run again going to blank screens
with no text but may have graphics. Some interactive game sites display error messages
saying cookies, java scripts and/or activeX are not properly setup on the computer. With one
exception, these symptoms are browser independent. Printing from the internet is available
from other non-IE browsers (Firefox 1.5 and Opera 8.5).

Computer info:
Toshiba Notebook model P25-S509, Pentium 4, 2.8 gHz, dual processor, 512 mb RAM, with 80 gb
hard drive (dual boot – 30gb Windows and 50 gb Linux).

Operating system(s):
Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2, and Suse Linux v. 9.3. Have been
dual booting WinXP and Linux for nearly two years with no problems. Windows has three users
with Admin rights.

Security:
Startup Monitor runs in background.

Firewall:
Zone Alarm Free – updated when notified updates are available.

Anti-virus:
AVG Free edition – updates daily.

Anti-malware:
AdAware SE Free – update and run full system scan weekly.
Spybot S&D – update and run full system scan weekly.
SpyCatcher Free – update weekly runs resident.
SpywareBlaster – update weekly runs resident.
SpywareGuard – update weekly runs resident.
Ewido – update and run full system scan weekly.
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard have not displayed any conflicts with the other
applications. SpyCatcher is shutdown while AdAware, Spybot, and Ewido are run.

Online scanners:
Alternate between Panda software and TrendMicro, running one every two weeks.

Other applications used:
Hijack This v 1.99.1
RootkitRevealer
Iefix
Winscipt 5.6
Silentrunners.vbs – unable to run, error cscript unable to find vbscript engine

Actions taken in attempts to repair:
Upgraded Java from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0
Reinstalled IE from \windows\system32\i386
Verified IE – Tools – Internet Options – Advanced set to enable javascript and activeX
Ran dxdiag – no problems reported
Ran sfc/ scannow – no problems reported
Installed winscript 5.6
Unregistered/re-registered numerous .dll files recommended by various Microsoft Knowledge
base articles.
Submitted HJT and Ewido logs to help forums – no major problems reported

Major sticking points:
Do not have a Windows XP Home Edition CD so am unable to attempt a repair from that method.
Toshiba OEM Recovery Disk will only reformat the entire hard drive and return to the factory
installed configuration. Do not want to reformat, too much time and effort expended in getting
Linux in preferred configuration. Would rather go 100% Linux.

This problem and troubleshooting have been going on for nearly two months with no end in sight.
Getting really frustrated and don't know where to turn next. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Any and all suggestions/recommendations gratefully accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

See if any of the information on this Microsoft page helps:

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

#3 ursahoribl

ursahoribl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

Microsoft article 318378 does not apply to my version of IE as listed on the page. I am running the XP SP2 update (6.0.2900.2180). This article goes into reinstalling XP SP2 but I don't have the disk and am unable to access Microsoft updates. dxdiag.exe indicates ActiveX is functioning properly, but still am unable to update Windows. Autoupdate installed critical updates on 3-19 but I am unable to do manual updates.

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:34 AM

I see you are running Zonealarm. Zonealarm is known it could interfere with Windows Update.
http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...46/privacy.html
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:45 AM

If you wish to do a repair or a recovery your original recovery disk is actually not the one to use since you installed Service Pack 2. SP2 makes this version of Windows like a new OS and your recovery disk will not be allowed to work. If you want to do a repair you need an OEM Microsoft version of Windows XP Home to make your bootable Windows XP Home with SP2 . Here is an article about how to do this and it works, just follow the instructions in the article.

Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

Be sure to backup all of your data basically because this is Windows, need I say more. :thumbsup:

#6 ursahoribl

ursahoribl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

miekiemoes:

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into zonealarm and found that the privacy issue is applicable to the ZoneAlarm Pro version and not to the free version that I use. The free version supplies only the firewall.

ThorXP:

Read through the web site you referred and will have to contact Toshiba for an OEM XP CD and see if I can access Microsoft for a SP2 CD to try it. You're the first to recommend a course of action outside of a possible infection and one that doesn't require a complete reformat and reinstallation. Thanks.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:31 AM

Actually you do not ned to contact your manufacturer for a Windows XP Home cd. All you need is one of two things either an OEM Microsoft version with out anything slipstreamed into it like SP1 or an OEM microsoft Home version with SP2 already in it. The disk with SP@ already slipstreamed into it just by-passes the slipstreaming part you still have to get ISOBUSTER and burn the new cd with your Toshiba image file to make a bootable Windows XP cd.

#8 ursahoribl

ursahoribl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:22 AM

Don't have any of the above, only the Toshiba Recovery disk. Don't know where or how to obtain the others.
ISOBUSTER not a problem, only the OEM XP disks.

#9 Meggeler

Meggeler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

Have you got it fixed? I have the same problem on a Gateway Desktop. I tried to fix the script machine by installing EI 7.0 beta - Dont do that! :thumbsup:

I don't have a Msoft install disk either - but I'm going to try one from another computer and see if it will fix it.

#10 Meggeler

Meggeler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

I think I have fixed mine. I downloaded and installed "Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000" from Msoft downloads. I can now search and windows update is running in the back ground. I found it here "http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyI + D=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&sGuid=36ac4d6c-a89a-4fa4-9787-74eae11cf1d2&hash=

I hope you can find it somewhere around there anyway, Fix the '+'

#11 ursahoribl

ursahoribl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:31 AM

Meggeler:

Congratulations! I'm glad you fixed your problem. Windows Script 5.6 does nothing for my problem. I've gone this route several times including unregistering and re-registering all associated .dll files. Stil no luck on this end. Will keep looking and trying.

#12 soulbandit

soulbandit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:33 PM

I have the same exact problem. Somebody help if you have solved this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users