Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random crashes and other problems during games!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

I have been having some very strange problems as of recently with my new computer. While playing various games (usually fairly demanding games), I experience various crashes and glitches that aren't normal behavior. My computer is custom built from NewEgg and a friend and I assembled it ourselves last August. The specs are as follows:

Intel Quad Core i5-3550 @ 3.30 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM 1600 16GB (2x8GB)

Antec EarthWatts 750W SLI Crossfire Bronze Certified

So far the following games have crashed:

-Grand Theft Auto IV (didn't actually crash, but it froze for a few seconds and when it resumed playing, the framerate was around 10-15, when it is normally a smooth 60)

-Just Cause 2 (always crashes during the same mission, might be game-related)

-Borderlands 2 (framerate slowly diminishes until it freezes and crashes to desktop)

-Dirt 3 (game froze and flashed pretty colors. required hard reset)

-Far Cry 3 (i'm pretty sure that the intense artifacting is a known issue with the game specifically but thought i should still mention)

I had a friend do a stress test and my GPU failed the stability tests so I got it replaced by EVGA last week. So far, GTAIV and JC2 still have issues. Haven't really tested the others, as the crashes have discouraged me from playing PC games lately. :(

If anyone could help I would be eternally grateful!

Edited by KahnArtizt07, 27 May 2013 - 01:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hi

Did you updated the graphic drivers to the latest ? . If not , uninstall the current drivers and download the latest driver from the below link.

http://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in

Next thing you should do is to disable any CPU and graphic card overclocking. It might affect the system stability and cause crashes.

How about the power supply ?. Your configuration needs a pretty decent platinum rated SMPS. Make sure you got one from a decent brand like Corsair or Antek and it meets your power requirement. 

Also the cabinet you used should have adequate cooling fans and ventilation. Overheating will degrade the performance of CPU and GPU.

#3 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I updated my specs in my original post. I have only a Bronze Certified PSU. Do you think upgrading to a Gold or Platinum would fix the crashes? For what it's worth, my model has been discontinued on NewEgg since I bought it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

I have already upgraded to the most recent drivers. That's always the first advice I get when troubleshooting!

I don't do overclocking since I am not familiar with it and I'm not the kind of person who needs to milk my computer for all it's worth if it could mean screwing it up.

My cabinet is very well ventilated and has rear, top, and front fans, as well as a side vent for the GPU and CPU fans, all set to Medium (too loud on high).

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi

Your SMPS is a good one from Antek . GTA 4 is notorious for FPS problems. Running GTA 4 in good FPS is nothing but poor luck.

You can follow instructions in various GTA fan sites  to improve the frame rate. I suggest running other games which are known to work flawlessly in PC to test the card.

#5 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yesterday I did a full reset of my computer, just to cover all possibilities.

I am still having issues with Just Cause 2. After a few minutes of play, the screen flashed white, froze and i had to perform a hard reset.

EDIT: It turns out that JC2 has random crash problems on many different nVidia cards. I'm going to try a few more games and see what happens.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 crashes as soon as I start a match. It lasted almost a minute before crashes.

Edited by KahnArtizt07, 29 May 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

Hi

Before jumping to a conclusion we should collect some necessery info about your PC.

Please post a snapshot of your system using Speccy http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't paste the output of Speccy. Just copy the web link it displays. This will generate a report about your system including hardware and software. 

Also download minitoolbox from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and select only the following items.

- List last 10 event viewer errors

- List installed programs

- List minidumps

- List users,partition and memory size 

Now click GO and post the output in next reply.

Did you experience blue screens during gaming ? . Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. If you can see any .dmp files there report in next reply. We may need that files. 

#7 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Sorry i have been away. I finally figured out the problem as to why my games crash. My CPU has been overheating and reaching temperatures in excess of 100*C. I logged the max temp using HWMonitor. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? I recently reapplied my thermal paste just to be sure that wasn't it, but it changed nothing (and yes i know how to properly apply it).

Also, you can add Trials Evolution and Saints Row the Third to the list of games that crash.

Edited by KahnArtizt07, 19 June 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hi

100 C is way too high for a core i5 CPU. Here is the official spec sheet of your processor.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65516

According to Intel, max temp for this CPU is 67.4 C. To make sure HWmonitor is not reporting false info, try these tools also.

core temphttp://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

speed fanhttp://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccy

Note down the temperature in idle time and when under load.

#9 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

Idle: Each core averages around 30*C

Under Load: Speed Fan and Core Temp say that each core averages around 45-50*C. That was before the game crashed, so it probably wasn't peaking.

HWMonitor says my max temp for my CPU peaked at 87*C after about 10 minutes of game play.

It seems I'm getting mixed signals, but the majority of the programs I had running gave the same results. Maybe HWMonitor isn't accurate.

I also purchased a new heatsink, Hyper 212 Evo. These tests were performed after installing it (and reapplying thermal paste of course).

This issue is starting to depress me as the days go on. I can't play any recently released games for longer than 5-10 minutes and half the reason I bought this computer was for gaming. I really hope somehow this can get resolved. :(

Edited by KahnArtizt07, 22 June 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hi

Temperature reading looks fine for me. HWmonitor may probably reporting false info.

Did you try updating the system BIOS and graphic card VGA BIOS ?. Issues like this sometimes can be solved by updating the firmwares. Please post the make and model number of your motherboard and graphics card (exact product number ) , we can check if there are any BIOS update are available.

#11 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Motherboard: Intel DH67BL

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670  02G-P4-2678-KR

I updated my BIOS for my motherboard to the most recent version.

Is the VGA BIOS the same as the driver? If that is the case, I have the most recent version.

A friend of mine told me that the problem, could lie either in my motherboard or HDD. He suggested to check for the HDD, I should install Windows on my external HDD and run a diagnostic on my internal drive. I plan on trying that sometime this week when I have some free time.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Hi

Please download the VGA BIOS update from the below link.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1703680&mpage=1

#13 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Installed the new VGA BIOS. No change to performance issues.

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for the last few days.

Can you try re-installing Windows from scratch ? . While installing softwares, avoid resource hogging bloatwares as much as possible. Avoid AV programs like Norton or McAffee and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead. It is less resource consuming and more compatible to Windows kernel than third party programs.

Also avoid installing virtual CD apps like daemon tools and Alcohol. Both are known to crash Windows kernel. Use Wincdemu instead.

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

Even if a re-install is not helpful, stress test all the hardware part one by one. It could be a hardware issue.Follow the instructions in the below guide.

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

#15 KahnArtizt07

KahnArtizt07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

I fixed my issues a while ago and I felt I should give a bit of closure to this little mystery. The solution is somewhat of a surprise, but makes total sense. When I got my original defective graphics card replaced, EVGA apparently send me ANOTHER defective card because when I ran my card on my friends computer... BAM! game crashes! I put his card in my computer and all was well (aside from less graphical fidelity from his dated card). I got once again, another replacement card and everything has been fine (since around July). If EVGA would have sent me a properly tested card in the first place, this thread wouldn't have even been started! Oh well... at least I got all my other parts replaced!

Edited by KahnArtizt07, 12 November 2013 - 01:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users