Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky 2012 randomly turning off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Suzique

Suzique

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

I'm new to Forums, so be kind!  

I have Kaspersky 2012 installed (and have been using it successfully for the last 12 months).  It is up to date, but is now randomly turning itself off.  The only indication is a flag from the windows solution centre.

I'm using Windows 7, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes. 

I have no idea where to start, so any suggestions appreciated.   At this stage, I can turn Kapersky's back on, but it will randomly turn itself off again later. 

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hello Suzique and Welcome -
Do you have the free version of Malwarebytes installed, or the Pro (paid) version ?

Generally these days Spybot S&D can be removed via Programs and Features in Control Panel, as it has been superceded by many other similar free programs. SUPERAntiSpyware is one of the better, similar programs that are preferred. This is updated daily, like Malwarebytes AntiMalware program is.

How long has the problem existed with your Kaspersky program, and is the program downloaded, or installed via a CD ?

For a quick check, please run this short program. It should only take a few minutes -

Download Security Check from Here or Here and save it to your Desktop.
*Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
*Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
*A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt;
*Please Copy / Paste the contents of that document back here.
NOTE . If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Please follow noknojon's instructions but answer a quick question.

Did you recently upgrade IE to version 10? I ask because Kapsersky posted this article in their knowledge base: Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 may "crash" with Internet Explorer 10 installed on Windows 7 (x64). There may be a similar issue with KIS 2012.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Suzique

Suzique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thanks so much for your replies....

To Quietman7..........I don't use IE very often, but just checked and it is version 10 and I noticed it's been updating automatically...version  10 was installed 1 May.

I usually use Google Chrome, but just recently I have had to use IE on certain web pages that don't like Chrome. 

Thinking about it, that could be the link, so I'm uninstalling IE10 now and will try IE9.  

And....in reply to Noknojon....I have the free version of Malwarebytes.  I have just downloaded Superantispyware.

My Kaspersky was installed initially via a CD (about a year ago), but this problem has only been recent (last few days???)

I did start to download your "security check",but my Kaspersky red flagged it (it is choosing to work ATM), and my cautious side has kicked in! (not wishing to offend anyone, but I'm very wary about downloading things from "strangers" so leave that one with me to think about overnight!!)

Thanks so much for your help...it is much appreciated!!   Saved me throwing the computer out the window!!!

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hello Suzique and WELCOME!

After having read your post couldn't help but make a few comments. IMHO you have made a wise choice in selecting this Forum for a solution to your issue. Been a member for almost a year now and this site provides a wealth of info and assistance for those of us who are "novices" in this "ever changing tech" world.

With that being said you would be well-served to follow the direction(s) of those who are willing to give of their time and expertise in order to resolve your concern. I can sincerely tell you that the advisors and members of this forum have aided me invalueably.

Good Luck, sik

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

You're welcome.

And....in reply to Noknojon....I did start to download your "security check",but my Kaspersky red flagged it (it is choosing to work ATM), and my cautious side has kicked in! (not wishing to offend anyone, but I'm very wary about downloading things from "strangers" so leave that one with me to think about overnight!!)...

Certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized tools like Security Check, may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, whether files are compressed or packed, what behavior it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan. Other legitimate files which may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access for scanning but often trigger alerts by anti-virus software.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. Compressed and packed files in particular are often flagged as suspicious by security software because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive".

Security Check is a well known tool recommended/used by many security experts here and elsewhere. noknojon is a trusted member of our community, knows what he is doing and has helped many of our members. So you can either have your anti-virus ignore the detection or temporarily disable it until you download and run the tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hi -

In short what quietman7 said was included in my NOTE listed at the bottom. The tool is OK and I have it still on my desktop at this time.

:busy:

Regards -

#8 Suzique

Suzique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thanks again for your replies...and patience.  Hopefully I have done this correctly!

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.64  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Kaspersky Anti-Virus   
 Antivirus up to date!   
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 MVPS Hosts File  
 SpywareBlaster 5.0    
 Spybot - Search & Destroy 
 SUPERAntiSpyware     
 Secunia PSI (2.0.0.1003)   
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 CCleaner     
 JavaFX 2.1.1    
 Java™ 6 Update 31  
 Java 7 Update 21  
 Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date! 
  Adobe Flash Player 10.3.183.16 Flash Player out of Date!  
 Adobe Reader 10.1.7 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Google Chrome 26.0.1410.64  
 Google Chrome 27.0.1453.94  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 avp.exe  
 Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2012 klwtblfs.exe  
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1% 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

#9 Suzique

Suzique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Just reading that LOG....it says I have IE10, but I just checked and I do have IE9 installed.    And I've stopped it from doing auto updates for now.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

Hi Suzique -
I noted your post on the Kaspersky forum today, have they helped you yet with your problem ??
Since richbuff  is one of the Kaspersky Moderators, I would not like to offer further advice yet, and will wait for him to finish.

Thank You -
P.S. My list was similar to his post so far -

#11 Suzique

Suzique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

I've taken your advice and Spybot is gone and I've loaded the Superspyantiware instead. 

I also went with Quietman's suggestion re IE10, and since I've gone back to IE9, I haven't had the problem happen again, so hopefully it is all fixed.   

I was probably a bit over zealous with posting on both Forums, but I really didn't think anyone would reply....you guys are great...you don't miss much either!

Thanks for your help....very much appreciated.  I live on my own, so I get stuck fixing everything....from toilets to computers.... it's nice to have these Forums available!!   :thumbsup:

PS...Youtube is great for those plumbing tips!!

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

I just noted your comment  >> And I've stopped it from doing auto updates for now.< <

Please keep (and use) Windows Updates,  but you can manually check on what the updates are first.

Only select those that you wish to install, and do not select any that you do not wish to install (eg. IE10 Update)

The updates are released about the second Tuesday of most months, so that gives you an idea of when to look -

Regards -

#13 Suzique

Suzique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks.....have now selected that update option.   

And I think (hopefully) the Kaspersky problem has resolved itself.  No problems noted the last two days.  

Thanks again for your help.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users