Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I stop auto-updates?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Every so often my PC begins downloading some update or other in the background, whirring away for a good 25 minutes sometimes and slowing down whatever I'm doing.
I think the AOL updates are the biggest culprit, I swear I once ticked a box somewhere specifying "no auto-updates", but obviously not.
Ideally a message should come up saying "Update available, do you wish to download it now or later?". That way I could d/load it when I'm not busy.
Is there a magic button to set that preference to block ALL auto-updates including AOL?
(I'm Win XP Home SP3)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

1. Click Start, Settings, and Control Panel.
  2. Open System
  3. Click the Automatic Updates tab.
  4. Check or Uncheck the option for Keep my computer up to date.
  5. If you are enabling this feature by checking this box, select one of the three settings on how you wish to be notified for updates. We would recommend you select the second option, Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed.
  6. Click Apply and Ok.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks, I've plumped for the option "Notify me but don't d/l or install them" and will see what happens.
Hopefully that way I can d/l and install them when I'm having my tea or watching TV.. :)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 27 May 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

That's what I do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Aargh my PC still whirrs away sometimes with the working light staying on for around 25 minutes even though I've ticked "Don't auto-download or install new updates" via the XP Control Panel. 

It's annoying because it slows down whatever else I'm doing on the PC, and whirrs away even when I'm not connected to the net.

Maybe it's nothing to do with updates, so is there any way I can find out what it's doing?

Here's a shot of part of the ctrl-alt-del Task Manager screen during a 'whirring episode' but i don't know how to interpret it to hopefully pin down what's going on, what do you think?

techy-fgw_zps27027e19.jpg

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Looks like it's your anti-virus AVG updating. Not Windows. I don't have AVG so I don't know how to change the update profile for your Anti-Virus. If it's the free version it looks like you have two options. Daily or weekly.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Looks like it's your anti-virus AVG updating. Not Windows. I don't have AVG so I don't know how to change the update profile for your Anti-Virus. If it's the free version it looks like you have two options. Daily or weekly.

Thanks, it seems AVG Free overides my XP "no auto-updates" setting and starts updating whenever it feels like it on a daily basis, what cheek! 

I've searched AVG's 'update Help' but can't see any option to switch it off or set a weekly schedule, so I'm thinking of uninstalling it which should stop it once and for all, and switching to another Anti-V brand.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

See Disabling or modifying settings of AVG update schedules

Or uninstall it if you want and select another from HERE, These are free.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

From AVG sites FAQ area -

Program update schedule
If you want to modify/disable AVG program update schedule you can do it this way:

1. Open the AVG program.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Advanced settings.
  3. On the left menu, expand Schedules, click Program update schedule.
  4. Here you can disable (clear the Enable this task check box) or modify the settings of the AVG program update schedule.
  5. (my option added) Set the updates to at least once a week.

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Thanks guys I'll try setting the download time of day to teatime so the updates will hopefully auto-download while i'm off having my tea and crumpets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users