Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024 won't start after adding RAM modules

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg_McN25

Greg_McN25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

My Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024 notebook computer, Model # PSPAQU-02S01M, is unresponsive and won't start up. Please help if you can.

I am operating on Windows XP Professional (Media Center Edition), SP 3, 32-bit. Machine has power; on/off indicator light is on; battery light is on. The battery seems to charge. I can hear the fan running.

The display is totally dark; USB ports and devices are not working, including optical mouse. Keyboard and touchpad are not working. Tried F5 key in attempt to revive display but to no avail.

Here's the background: The trouble all started when I tried upgrading RAM memory modules. When I tried to power up the machine, I got no response whatsoever, not even beeps. I tried reseating the modules but still no results. No lights, no fan sound even.

I reinstalled my old memory modules that had been working moments earlier. The computer was unresponsive but this time showing the power light, on/off light and battery light --- and I can hear the fan running. When it powers up, the disk light shows for a second or two.

(The touchpad has been unresponsive since a few days ago when I adjusted my mouse settings in the control panel. I couldn't get the touchpad to work again after it mistakenly got shut off.)

I am assuming the memory modules I received from Toshiba Direct are incompatible with my computer and that installation caused an emergency internal power shutoff or that they shorted something out.

What should I do? Is there some kind of internal power research switch? I have looked online but found no answer to that question about a reset. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

My first guess would be to confirm your thought - the installation of the new memory caused something bad to happen [possibly a short in the power supply] which has given you the rest of the indications that you are not getting the correct power to the system.

It sounds like time for the machine to visit with a trained technician who can open up the notebook and troubleshoot the problem at the component level.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

It is possible that you were supplied the wrong ram but feel it may be another issue, lap top disecting can be a pain the slightest wiggle can losen a connection.  I have never heard of ram killing a componant, have heard tons of problems usually cleared up with correct ram.  Since you have tried your original ram it has me thinking take a better look at anything that could possibly have come loose.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 27 May 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Greg_McN25

Greg_McN25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

The problem has been solved. The RAM I got wasn't compatible with my computer. Some crud in the memory slot was keeping the old RAM from making a complete connection. I took it to a local computer tech, and he saw something in there with as he used a bright light so he blew it out with compressed air and then the modules connected properly and the computer started right up and worked fine. (This was probably *the* one thing I had not tried.) So the crisis is over. Whew! This issue had  me sweating. I was afraid it could be very expensive to straighten out but the expense was minimal. Thanks, Dick  E. and Phil, for offering assistance and for caring about my woes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users