Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update won't update

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jonnno

Jonnno

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi

hope you can help with this issue, sorry for the long post but I thought it best to be verbose than for you to have to ask loads of questions.

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate. Just noticed or realised yesterday that these two updates Windows has been doing on every shutdown are the same two KB2676562 and KB2813170. When I open WU and click Check for Updates I get error code 80073712 "Windows Update encountered an unknown error".

When I look at my update history it's all these two KB being installed successfully, except for KB2565063 Visual C++ re-distributable security update on 21/5/2013 and KB947821 Hotfix for Windows also on 21/5/2013. But WU also says Most Recent Check for Updates 17/5/2013 which does't jibe with the above.

I thought about doing a System Restore to before 17/5/2013 but the earliest I have is 18/5/2013 because every time these two darn KB install they are setting a new restore point and seem to be pushing earlier ones off the list.

I did a boot time chkdsk /f and it didn't find any errors which is to be expected because this is a new drive, less than a month old, and the install is about the same age.

I tried sfc /scannow from elevated command line but before it even got to 0% it says "Windows Resource Protection could not performe the required operation." I created a log file to see the output but it was empty.

Also if I view installed updates in Programs and Features the list is empty.

I've tried the System Readiness Checker thing (might not be right name) and the Microsoft FixIt for Windows Update problems.

There is some possibly relevant history. About 15/5/2103 (sorry UK date format) I had an issue with MSE not starting, refusing to uninstall, after finally uninstalling manually (well with a batch file I found) it then refused to re-install. I can't recall but I think I left it uninstalled (supposedly, it disppeared from Programs and Features anyway) and installed AVG instead.

Also on WU installation history there is a failed MSE definitions update on 5/5/2103, immediately followed by a successfull one on the same day. Then, begining with Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2661254) ‎07/‎05/‎2013 18:08, there are a whole load of failed updates on the same day.

Here's the entry for just the first one:-

Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 800705B4
Update type: Important

Install this update to keep your system up to date by increasing the minimum level of encryption on Windows systems. After you install this item, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260798

All the other fails on that day had the same failure code.

I've tried the fixit offer on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 it didn't detect any problems so didn't fix anything but I may try the manual "agressive" method later possibly.

Until I get this sorted I'm wondering if I should turn off system restore, if I do will I lose all my restore points? I just don't want these two KBs to keep creating new ones. I tried unchecking them in WU but they still install on shutdown anyway.

Hope you can help, darned if I want to try an in-place upgrade to fix this.

J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users