Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plug-in Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

I hope this is in the right place. I just wanted an expert opinion to the following question I have in a mock exam.

Which of the following technologies is not a web browser plug-in?

1. Macromedia Flash Player
2. RealNetworks RealPlayer
3. Adobe Acrobat Reader
4. Nullsoft Winamp

I personally thought each of them was plug-in, but if I was to pick one, it would be Nullsoft Winamp. Can anyone give me advice?

Calum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

Which of the following technologies is not a web browser plug-in?

1. Macromedia Flash Player
2. RealNetworks RealPlayer
3. Adobe Acrobat Reader
4. Nullsoft Winamp

The correct answer, I'm pretty sure, is Adobe Acrobat reader. I know for a fact that Flash player is in fact a plug-in. RealPlayer also has it's fair share of plug-ins as well as Winamp. Acrobat Reader, from what I know, opens the .pdf file after downloading it to a temporary location. You may of seen Reader run from IE, that is not a web browser plug-in, it's just simply displaying the PDF in IE. It is an Adobe plug-in, NOT a web browser plug-in. You can see that from THIS Adoble help file.

Edited by TheYoda, 12 April 2006 - 06:17 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

On the other hand, I have seen Acrobat (I would have guessed 3 myself) described as a "plug-in." I think it really depends on how strictly the term is defined. If your mock exam refers to some text, tell us how that text defines plug-in, and we can probably figure out the correct answer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

On the other hand, I have seen Acrobat (I would have guessed 3 myself) described as a "plug-in."

I believe it is called a plug-in because the function of that software is just Reader. Reader, I'm concluding, is an Acrobat plug-in. More than likely when someone refers to Reader as a plug-in is because it is a part of Acrobat. I'm pretty sure that's what it's saying. But as you said, if there is more information, it would help us a lot.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#5 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for your replies. From this link, it would appear that the first 3 options are web browser plug-ins. I still think Nullsoft Winamp is the answer.

http://www.nps.gov/hfc/plugins/

Calum.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

"...Acrobat Reader works as a plug-in with either Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer..." It says it works as a plug-in WITH them, not for them. The plug-in is not Reader it self, it's the ability for IE or Netscape to view PDFs. Understandably, Winamp plug-ins are not common because a majority of people do not use Winamp. I, personally, do and there is a plug-in for IE and Mozilla. My suggestion is 3, as is jgweed's. If you want to choose 4 go ahead, but I say 3.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:40 PM

Nullsoft has cooked up one of its best releases in recent memory with Winamp 5.2. Headlining the numerous feature enhancements is the new portable media player plugin which lets you synchronize your local media with iPodŽ, CreativeŽ, and Microsoft Plays For SureŽ devices.

http://www.winamp.com/

(Emphasis mine. And we are now back to square one, unless nullsoft is a plug-in for a plug-in).
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 13 April 2006 - 11:41 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

Blimey, now I'm more confused than ever! :thumbsup:

Calum.

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

Nullsoft has cooked up one of its best releases in recent memory with Winamp 5.2. Headlining the numerous feature enhancements is the new portable media player plugin which lets you synchronize your local media with iPodŽ, CreativeŽ, and Microsoft Plays For SureŽ devices.

http://www.winamp.com/

(Emphasis mine. And we are now back to square one, unless nullsoft is a plug-in for a plug-in).
Cheers,
John

That makes sense now. I think I might change my choice to 4. If Winamp is a plug-in for the windows media plug-in, than that means that it is NOT a web browser plug-in...or something of that sort. Now I'm confused... :thumbsup:

Edited by TheYoda, 14 April 2006 - 12:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users