Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Since when

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Korin

Korin

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Since when is .exe viruses ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DasNasty

DasNasty

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Since Biblical times:

Mod Edit:  Removed content that was an attempt at humor (I suppose)...but did not address the topic as posed by OP - Hamluis.

That help?

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Since when is .exe viruses ?

Please see this page if you believe you are infected.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Not all .exe files are viruses. Also not all infections are caused by viruses, but are caused by malware or MALicious softWARE which has viruses as a subset along with trojans, rootkits, worms etc. However, saying all malware are viruses is incorrect. Viruses are very small subset these days and the general term we now use is malware.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 26 May 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

.exe - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

.exe is a common filename extension denoting an executable file (a program).
Besides the executable program, many EXE files contain other components called resources, such as bitmaps and icons which the executable program may use for its graphical user interface.

These are usually not bad items, but infections can have an .exe extension -

Do you have any particular .exe item in mind ?

#5 Korin

Korin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Nah, it's just that some guy on a forum said that all .exe's are viruses, so I suspected it was just load of a bullbleep, but the real reason why I asked is because Firefox / Avast! warns me everytime I download something, it says "Some items from the internet can harm your computer. Are you sure you want to continue?"

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

That's probably just a general warning. Can you take a screenshot?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

A Virus is a man-made program (small bits of programming code disguised as something else or buried in other codes) that causes an unexpected and usually undesirable event. A virus can replicate itself and is designed to automatically spread to other computer users. Viruses can be transmitted as attachments to e-mail, as downloads, or be present on a diskette or CD. Some viruses wreak their effect as soon as their code is executed while other viruses lie dormant until circumstances cause their code to be executed by the computer.

Replication is where a virus reproduces or duplicates itself to insure it has a method of spreading. Replication occurs when the virus has been loaded into memory and has access to CPU cycles. File infection relies on the virus’s ability to attach itself to a file that provides access to CPU cycles. The most popular type of infection is a virus that infects or attaches itself to executable files with a .COM, .EXE, or .BAT file extension, which insures the virus is loaded into memory before the actual application when the file is executed.

Executable file extensions
Executable file Types

You may want to read the Glossary of Malware Related Terms for more information.

Some browsers will provide a general warning about downloading certain files. Google Chrome in particular and many users have reported their annoyance. See here.

Both Google and Yahoo search also puts a similar warning flag in its search results for pages where its automated web crawler has been attacked by malware. The warning is their way to help protect users who are using Google search results in order to keep them away from malicious web pages.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Korin

Korin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Next time I come across it - I will post screenshot, but be prepared-cause it may not be for a while as I don't download stuff much.

What happens when a Web Crawler gets attacked by malware? And how do I tell if the .exe. or .bat is attached to a virus?

#9 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

A web crawler has nothing to do with your browser. It's a bot that retrieves websites for search engines to index and show up in search results. You can always upload files you aren't sure of to www.virustotal.com which will scan them and give you back results from over 40 antivirus and antimlaware products. However, batch files aren't usually malicious so you won't find much of those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users