Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard stops typing text, keys start activating functions/menus

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 olywane

olywane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer people!

Computer with the problem is a desktop. HP Pavilion Model number a4327c-b. Windows 7. 

My problem: Keyboard keys unexpectedly stop tying text and instead, pressing a key, activates a function. 

For example typing the F key opens the File menu. Tested with a second keyboard and had the same problem.  Problem started unexpectedly, without warning. Problem occurs when surfing the web and playing free online games at MSN and other popular sites.

Mouse works. Norton Security Suite working.

Temporary fix: Opened the On Screen Keyboard and pinned it to Task Bar. Opening and minimizing the On Screen Keyboard fixes the problem for a few minutes but then the problem reoccurs. Problem seems to reoccur when surfing the web and playing free online games at MSN and other popular sites.

Descriptions: Of how the problem effects these programs:

Outlook: Can’t open New Message. When forwarding an email can’t address it or type text. Keyboard keys act as if they are function keys. For example typing F opens the File Menu. Other keys open other Outlook functions/menus.

Word 2007: Can’t type in a Document. Type F key and Office Button opens.  Other keys activate other Word functions.

Internet Explorer: In all Search boxes, can’t type. F key opens File menu. Other keys effect other menus.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Craig

Edited by olywane, 27 May 2013 - 01:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Simple question I have to ask when I see a issue such as yours: Are you in the United States? If so are you a Comcast customer?

#3 olywane

olywane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes, I live in the US and Yes, a Comcast customer. 

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Do you have Constant Guard Protection installed?

The suite consists of 2 parts, Constant Guard and Norton Internet Security.

There have been numerous reports in the Comcast Help Forums that Constant Guard has caused strange issues with the keyboard. Usually the complaint is that letters are showing up as numbers.

If it were letters being entered as numbers the anti-keylogging feature of Constant Guard would be the culprit. I've not seen any reports that Constant Guard causes the issues you describe.

If you do have Constant Guard you could uninstall it to see if that is the cause.

You can uninstall from Add Remove remove programs. It will not affect Norton if you use the Norton Comcast offers free to customers.

I do not use Constant Guard so I don't know if anti-keylogging is a separate install. You can look in Add Remove programs to see if it is listed.

Someone else may have more to offer on why you are experiencing these issues.

#5 olywane

olywane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Constant Guard is installed. I'll uninstall and see how it works. I'll also read through the Comcast Forums.

Thank you for that information Queen-Evie!

Craig

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum pm me either here or there. My user name at Comcast is the same one as the one here.

If you decide to post in the forum and have not done so before you will have to create a user name. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

Also, One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

#7 olywane

olywane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

I uninstalled the Constant Guard Protection Suite and GuardedID/anti-keylogging. This, frustratingly, did not fix the problem.

As you noted Queen-Evie, the Comcast Forum posts describing the keyboard problem describe behavior different from my keyboard. My problem is pressing keys causes functions to happen, or nothing to happen...depends on the key. I didn't find any Comcast posts about my keyboard behavior.

I've re-installed keyboard drivers.  I've tried a standard USB keyboard and the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. Both have the problem.

Opening OnScreen Keyboard helps for a short while. Very odd.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I figured it was a long shot which was worth trying. Comcast does not have a stellar history when it comes to branded software.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Olywane can you please post the make and model number of the computer you are having this issue with.

Biggest question I have, is this a laptop or desktop computer?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 olywane

olywane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Bruce,

It's a desktop, HP Pavilion model number a437c-b.

I apologize for not having that rather important info posted from the beginning! 

Thank you,

Craig

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Bruce,

It's a desktop, HP Pavilion model number a437c-b.

No need to apologize Craig, it's a common over-sight we all make in forum boards.

I tried looking up your model number at the HP web site and came up with no similar results. I even looked in the legacy hardware section, I came up with no such model number.

To be sure, I also tried a few search engines such as Google and Bing and I still did not come up with anything with the model number a437 let alone A437C-B. Is 437 the 2nd, 3rd and 4th numbers?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 olywane

olywane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

I really need to pay more attention when I'm typing late at night!

Number is a4327c-b. 

I took a look at the HP support forums and information. Not finding anything yet. 

I tried System Restore. Unable to do a System Restore due to "unspecified error during System Restore". "Failed while scanning file system on drive "C". Error message suggested trying a new restore point or running CHKDSK/R. I first did "Undo system restore" successfully. Then restarted to select a new restore point. Upon restart was given option of going into Safe 

Mode or starting Normally. Started Normally and it ran CHKDSK automatically during startup. Then got message "Unexpected Shutdown" and I followed instruction to run for a solution and was directed to Control Panel "Recovery". I returned to System Restore and tried another restore point. It failed also, but did not start the CHKDSK. Rebooted normally. I was able to Undo the System Restore back to present state. 

I'm thinking I should just restore it to factory settings, found in the Control Panel, Recovery, Advanced Recovery. Everything is backed up using Carbonite. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Craig

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm thinking I should just restore it to factory settings, found in the Control Panel, Recovery, Advanced Recovery. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

Craig

First, Thank you for correcting the model number.

Second, if you have a recovery option available in the control panel, that would indicate your OS is--hopefully--hidden on a partition of your hard drive.

Since you have everything backed up--you should go that route--execute the recovery options and let's see where that takes us.

Good luck with that and keep us posted.

Bruce.

Edited: Made the quote box smaller to remove wasted forum space. ~Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#14 olywane

olywane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Bruce, 

Thank you for your advice. I went ahead and restored it to factory settings. So far so good with the keyboard problem. First time I've used Carbonite for restoring files. Takes quite a long time to restore! Everything is restored other then a challenge getting my Outlook .pst file downloaded but that's a different matter with Carbonite. 

That keyboard problem was the darnedest thing!

Thanks again. Folks willing to help others, as you are, are very much appreciated and valued!

Craig

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Glad everything worked out for the good and I am keeping my fingers crossed that that issue with the keyboard does not start happening again.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users