Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP zv 5000 touch pad doesn't work. Please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

I made a new installation of XP. Touch pad didn't work before.

Blue led lite is on (underneath Touchpad)

I installed sp46924 and sp25796, for Touch pad driver, but I don't see a Touch pad in Device Manager/Mice and other pointing devices.  I only see HID-Compliant Mouse. Please help.

Edited by Konadan, 26 May 2013 - 03:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

what is the make / model of your computer ?

You will have to go to manufacturers website and download driver from there.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi

I am a little confused. Did you mean the touch-pad worked before or didn't work before ?

Basic touchpad operations only need the Windows built in driver. You should first check if the touchpad is disabled either via a switch or a function key. If you can post the model number of your laptop, i may be able to tell which key i used to disable touchpad.

Edit:

I found the user manual of your model -  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00090106.pdf

Refer page 10 of itThere is a small button located on top of the touchpad which is used to enable or disable it.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 May 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#4 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

HP zv 5000...The touchpad is enabled (by the button switch above the touchpad)and the blue led lite in on, but it doesn't work.

The touchpad worked before and then quit working. I didn't troubleshooot it, then. I thought since it was an old PC, and the mouse still worked. It was fine. I later re-installed ZP, and decided to troubleshoot the touchpad.

I found other posts on the web with the same problem. They downloaded sp46924 and sp25796, for the Touch pad driver, but it hasn't worked for me.

I posted on the HP forum for help, but haven't gotten any help. Bleepingcomputer is still the best for help. They are the only posts I have received. So, that's where I am, now.

Edited by Konadan, 26 May 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hi

Since the touchpad is not working even after a re-install i suspect a hardware failure. Since it is an old laptop, i suggest using a USB mouse instead of replacing the touchpad. You can try the following steps before concluding it is faulty.

1 ) Enter BIOS setup and load defaults.

2 ) If not working, remove and reinsert the touchpad cable to solve any potential connectivity issues. You need to partially disassemble the laptop to access the touchpad. Refer the official service manual to know how to properly do it. Caution should be taken to avoid risk of static electricity (read the manual carefully).  

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00212209.pdf

3 ) There is an easy way to determine whether the culprit is hardware or software. Run a live Linux CD and check if touchpad works in it. I recommend Puppy Linux.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

#6 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thank you, Anshad! It probably is hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users