Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screens At Least Once Every 2 Days

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Tums

Bob Tums

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

Hello people of Bleeping Computer. My laptop has been going through a lot of blue screens lately. I can't really pin it down to anything. It never happens when I am using the laptop but when I am away or not actively using it, such as at school or maybe 3 feet away when i'm am doing something. Another problem is that the laptop rarely restarts after it blue screens but will stay on that screen for hours. I found this out by looking at the time in a program called Networx (logs how much internet traffic I use) to see what hour the log stops. So far i've actually only found it restarted once (found computer logged out, logged in to "Your computer has shutdown unexpectedly").

Thinking back on it, it may have something to do with the screen being closed, but that is only speculation. I say this because once I was listening to music through my laptop with MediaMonkey (using the media server) and and my phone (streaming the music) so I did not have my screen open. I noticed the song paused and opened the laptop to see the blue screen. Also when I leave I tend to close the screen.

Other things I have noticed is that when I start my laptop, the desktop takes a lot longer to load, usually not loading at all until I Control/Alt/Delete and go back in or Control/Shift/Esc, kill explorer.exe and start it again.This is a very recent problem as within the last week. It only applies to the desktop as startup programs will still show up such as prompts for PeerBlock and Sophos Updating status, but the desktop backgrounds and shortcut icons will not show.

I also recently got rid of a virus using malwarebytes (Trojan.Facebook), but the blue screens predate this, just thought I should mention it.

I have a Dell Studio 1555 running Windows 7 x64. Also, this is older but I had a previous topic here, it was never really solved but if you want to use it for reference. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473711/laptop-randomly-shuts-down/#entry2883907

I look forward to solving this problem. Please and thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

Hi

I read the previous topic and you mentioned an overheating issue. Did you properly cleaned it ?. If not, disassembling the laptop and cleaning the laptop especially heat sink fins is necessary. You should also need remove the old thermal paste and apply a new good quality paste.

Here is the service manual of your laptop - ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_studio_laptop/studio-15_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Carefully read it to know how to properly disassemble your laptop. Manual also covers instructions to avoid static electricity damage.  

Make sure to use a good quality thermal paste like this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-5-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste-3-5-grams-/310665888287?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item485521421f

Removing any residue of old paste from CPU surface and heat sink surface is necessary before applying new paste.

Following video will give you an idea about how  to disassemble your laptop.

How to properly clean the FAN

#3 Bob Tums

Bob Tums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thank you for this. I have taken my laptop apart before but not to this extent (I did not want to remove the screen). I did manage to get a can of compressed air into the fan and vents though. Question about the thermal paste, is it really necessary to reapply it to a standard laptop? I'm willing to try it but I do not want to overdo it and risk damaging my laptop.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi

It is necessary to apply the thermal paste and clean the FAN like in the video 2. Using just canned air won't clean the accumulated dust inside the fins. Manual disassembling is necessary.

Disassembling laptop requires extreme caution. Some models are very tricky. I recommend ask help from someone who had previous experience in cleaning a laptop. If you don't have  a friend who know how to do it properly, i suggest hiring the service of a professional. It may cost you some money, but you don't have to worry about making the issue worse.

#5 Bob Tums

Bob Tums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Ok, thank you. I know I can do this myself, it is only a matter of when. Again, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users