Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vipre: used on my laptop and server, but is it actually good?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

I'm just curious if the reviews of Vipre Antivirus and Vipre internet Security latest version (I use Internet Security) are true?  I have not had any issues with it, though I have had to disable the firewall's web filtering module (they call it bad web site blocking) because it blocks too many legitimate web sites and prevents some of my games and software from updating properly.  But I'm wondering, why in one review, was Vipre's firewall called a "paper tiger"?  Is it really that bad at blocking incoming connections?  I'm curious if any live testers have found anything with the current version of Vipre; how good is it really?  I mean, I don't have to worry that much for whenever I end up on a bad web site, it's always a typo and not intentional, but still, one never knows when their favorite legit site will be cracked and broken into.  Thanks for any feedback.  I like Vipre for everything that I have tested, anytime it's said it has blocked something, that something was actually blocked.  Firewall wise, this would normally be a legit application trying to get through the firewall, and I denied it once, and it actually did what it's supposed to do, though I've never tried an exploit running in a virtual machine with it though.  And then the on access module once blocked a fake firefox downloader from installing.  What have you guys found?  Should I be using a different security product?  Especially with a server? 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hi -

Vipre was always (in my opinion) among the better Antivirus programs, but I find from all of the latest "reviews" that it seems to have slipped slightly from its highest rankings. The "reviewers" still list it in the top dozen or so, but "reviewers" come and go. :rolleyes:

Kaspersky is in the top few now (as always), and cost-wise may be a better option, even though you purchase a 3 year subscription.

From current "reviews", there are several changes to what I would personally use, but the "review" playing field always seems tilted towards a few programs that may not always be as independantly assessed, as we would wish for -

Just my opinions -

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Well, if I wanted to think about Kaspersky in the future, I could think about their small office offering; I don't need a big corporate endpoint security manager, though most versions marketed for "home use" don't run on server operating systems; only Vipre does, so I'm stuck with it. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users