Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download box does not offer "Run" command, only Save and Cancel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hello -

I am running XP SP3 (which I updated from SP2 with much difficulty, before Microsoft released the instructions and I occasionally get a report that I am running SP2).. I have had trouble with this HP Pavillion desktop with malware (using MS Security Essentials and XP Firewall with auto-updates and Secunia). Recently  ran some update driver program before I learned about  needing to remove old drivers. I was going to download Driver Fusion from Bleeping but again got only the option to save the file (that goes to Downloads folder).  I recall Chrome asking to be updated, but got a malware called "Solid Savings" that I was able to remove with Revo Uninstaller.  During that incident, my Internet setup got destroyed and I lost the connection settings. I was able to get it connected but the "LAN" view looks odd.  One view referred to an old name I had given my other PC - this "new" PC automatically created a LAN when I had both machines turned on and plugged into the modem, so I have made all settings to NOT share and I manually ensure that by only plugging in one PC to the modem when both PCs are turned on. So now I am using FireFox.  Recently, this machine is complaining about RAM, " serious ms windows error 0x8007043c' but the MS Fix-IT and a link given to test memory was a hotfix only for SP2 so I did not run it.  One of my scans reported :Wireshark Antivirus is a fake security software (I do not recall installing it); the Instructions to remove Wireshark: I ran RKILL and mbam no findings. I have been running full scans with MS Security Essentials and MBAM but without findings. I seem to have several problems here and if so, in what order should I correct?

1. Possible bad upgrade to SP3. Should I uninstall and reinstall? I have Microsoft instructions to do that.

2. Probably bad internet connection settings. I'd love to be able to share desktops, but don't want to share malware.

3. RAM problems may be old drivers (25 of 37 were reported as outdated) and I may have remnants/old drivers when I did an update using a utility I do not remember.

4. I'm pretty sure there is malware on this PC, and I run clean-up and scan programs recommended by Bleeping. But I fear a malware is interfering with my downloads, and not sure that if I uninstall and re-install the free programs they will find whatever is buried deep. For example, if I see an unusual process running in Task Manager, it will disappear the minute I type the name into a notepad file or a google search.

Thank you for taking time to read this. My other PC is running the same OS and I only go online to safe sites. I use  this machine for research and a social site. This PC has a big screen and large hard drive, so maybe I should upgrade: and add to the only 1.nn gig of RAM.  If I upgrade this machine, which new OS should I research? I do not do games and am satisfied with the Microsoft Works programs. I still do not have a laptop or an I-Pad or an I-phone; spending enough on the triple bundle from the cable vendor. Not under contract with any of them. Verizon is mad that I left them and keeps making up charges to report to collection agencies. Anyone in central Florida recommend a new wireless carrier?

Thank you again.

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2013 - 08:55 AM.
Emphasized pertient point, moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hi Joanne,

I think your first priority is to sort out the possible malware problem. I would suggest that you repost this in the 'Am I infected ?' section and deal with the malware before anything else. It may take a couple of days for someone to get back to you, but follow their instructions carefully, and if you don't understandd anything, post back for clarification.

With regards to your other problems. Out of date drivers - if these are for hardware then the best thing is to download them from the manufacturer's web-site and it is generally considered to be a good idea to use the latest ones, but 25 out of 37 sounds an awful lot. This may also be connected with your malware problems.

Windows updates usually install fully or don't install at all, but there were problems reported trying to install the SP3 package for XP as a download/update. It was often simpler to download the install file and save it to a hard drive or a CD and install from there.

As I am sure you are aware, support for XP ends in April 2014. If you like the Windows operating system I would suggest you consider Win 7, but you will need about 2Gb of RAM to run it properly. Without buying a new computer, the only other viable operating system is one or other flavour of Linux, but Linux is a completely different system.

I run Firefox myself, and downloads through Firefox do not offer the 'Run' option, only 'Save' and 'Cancel', or at least I have never found an option to let me do that. Can't help you with an ISP though !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hamulus, thank you for moving this for me.

Chris, thank you for all the information!  Knowing how Firefox handles downloads takes some of the pressure off.  This is an old PC that wasn't used for years so I'm not surprised that most of the drivers are out of date. The OS was at SP1 when I got it.

I'll use a report of my PC parts and get the driver updates from their respective websites.  I'm already following a malware update and scan schedule from one of my previous posts.  So I'll continue my safety steps and update the drivers and post back if needed.

Thank you so much, Bleeping Peeps are the best 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users