Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Raid 1

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Good Morning,

I sought help from the manufacturer but the pdf manuals on my model had broken links.

System is a Dell XPS 410 running on Windows 7 64bit. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology is the OS application in use. My system is in a Raid 1 array, degraded to one hdd (the master drive: it's in the first motherboard port at least) and the second drive failed and has since been discarded. I want to "turn off" the raid without losing any data on the master (only) drive and continue to boot to the OS. In BIOS, all deletion options suggest I will lose all data, yet some have reported on other forums they retained their master drive's data. Even here http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022836.htm it notes that as long the master drive is present it will go unaffected. 

I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance because I don't have the hdd capacity to backup my master drive in case of failure or accidental deletion. Given that I've provided enough information, is it safe to do this?

Thanks.

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

the link you provided is info for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Is this what you have running ?

Myself, I would be very leery about deleting the raid without first backing up all data you consider valuable.

Also if all data is lost you will have to re-install the OS.

Right now the system starts and runs, Correct ?

Why not leave it alone ?

#3 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Intel Rapid Storage Technology is the program I'm running. I'm aware I'd had to reinstall the OS if I disband this incorrectly. It functions perfectly but I want to move my 1TB external drive and make it an internal drive. The connectors in the case are faulty and it disconnects frenquently. It contains data I need and I don't want the current Raid setup to overwrite it. That's the whole reason why I need to do this, otherwise I have to need to disband.

Edited by Lilium, 26 May 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Tempus Fugit

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Ok i think I understand better. The lone disk was part of a raid 1 array and contains the OS.

I don't think the raid software would overwrite the 1TB drive without you confirming that is what you want or don't want.

But again I would not take chances without a backup of the data you want to keep.

I am going to ask for some more help here with someone more knowledgeable about raids.

#5 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Alright.

Tempus Fugit

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Caperdog is correct the Intel Rapid Storage Utility will not auto rebuild your raid 1 without you specifying the "mirror drive" also known as a "global hot spare" If the raid was created In Windows 7 (called a software raid) The drive's could "auto rebuild" depending on the setup. The system can continue to run without a mirror Normally. Removing the Raid 1 configuration from the remaining drive without Data loss is possible according to The Intel Rapid Storage Users guide. However, I would Never recommend migrating/removing ANY raid array without backing up irreplaceable data. That being said you should be a able to install the external hard disk after removing it from the enclosure ( which will destroy the case if its a modern off the shelf 2.5in external USB drive) You will need a HDD adapter to securely install the drive if it is a 2.5in. Power down your system install the hard drive and connect it to SATA port 2 (assuming this is the vacant port left by the failed raid mirror drive). Reboot windows you should be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer if the drive is not damaged. You do not need to initialize the drive in the Intel Rapid Storage option ROM or Management utility in Windows and DO NOT TURN OFF RAID OR CHANGE TO AHCI IN THE BIOS. The raid controller should detect the hard drive during boot and pass the drive information to Windows as a Non-raid member drive.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 May 2013 - 02:15 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Sneakycyber

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

You are most Welcome.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Sorry for responding late: ok, you've reassured me. Thank you.

After looking at my motherboard I now remember I had three vacant SATA ports available. Since the Raid 1 configuration acknowledges Port 2 as the the missing drive, wouldn't connecting my external hdd to any of the available ports completely nullify the possibility of it being overwritten? BIOS, nor Intel Rapid Storage Utility, wouldn't have any reason to access it, correct?

Edited by Lilium, 30 May 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Tempus Fugit

#10 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Though very late in realization, I assumed right and everything went right. Ports 1 & 2 are assigned to the Raid 1. I attached my external to Port 3, booted to Windows, and everything is fine. Had I remembered the additional ports my motherboard had, I could have installed my external hdd long ago.

Thank you Caperdog and Sneakycyber for assisting me with this issue.

Tempus Fugit

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

:thumbup2: Your Welcome

As you have already discovered, yes using a different port then the failed hard drive takes the "auto rebuild" out of the equation in this case. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users