Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 re-install verification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redone

redone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi.

I've been a visitor here a lot but this is my first post.
I have a Dell XPS1645 Studio which came with Windows 7 x 64 bit Professional installed some 3 years ago. Last year I built a new desktop PC, mainly for work purposes. (Samsung SSD 128G 830, IB i5-3750K CPU, GTX66oTi GPU, 16G xDDR3 Ram, Asus Sabertooth 77 M/B, etc). The Dell has served me well and I would like to keep it, it has recently run out of it's 3 year warranty so I've decided to upgrade whatever components I can with the latest/ best.. 
I want to exchange the hard drive in both computers. 
Originally I came up a little short in my estimates on the SSD for the PC build with only 128G (the OS, programs etc take up more than the 50% mark and I can't trim it down enough. 
The Dell has a standard drive which I would like to replace with a high end SSD. The 128G SSD from the PC would be OK for the Dell and I would replace the 128 SSD currently in the desktop PC with a Samsung 840 250G as main drive, with existing 1TB Samsung HDD to remain as storage. 
I have a number of high end, 500G-1TB external drives I can hook to the laptop for storage.
I have the retail pack Win 7 x 64bit Home premium disk for the PC.

The Dell was OEM but the serial number is still on the Dell laptop. Both computers are in a Homegroup network and I also have an Apple iPad3 also linked.
It would be nice if I could take the 128G SSD from the PC and slot it into the Dell laptop and do a clean install in the Desktop with the Retail Pack I have on a new 250G SSD, but I guess there is no known way to do that? 
Anyone where I can download Win 7 x 64bit Professional for clean re-install to the laptop?
Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Official download link  from MS for 7 Pro x64

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24281.iso

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hi

There is a big difference between OEM and retail edition of Windows 7. An OEM CD key can't be used for activating via online or phone activation. OEM activation requires 3 components-

- A valid OEM SLP CD key

- A software Licencing Table (SLIC) encoded in to the BIOS and it should match with the OEM CD key

- An OEM Certificate (XRM-MS) installed in Windows which should match with the SLIC table inside the BIOS.

Generally almost all laptops which came preinstalled with Windows 7 do have a recovery partition which contains an image of the OS. This image will contain both the OEM SLP key and certificate. When you recover the OS, Windows setup will compare this pre-encoded SLP CD key and Certificate with the laptop's BIOS software licencing table. If the 3 are matching, Windows will activate itself.

If you reinstall the laptop using a retail DVD, it won't activate as the installation DVD didn't have any valid OEM XRM certificate. Also Windows setup will show a message "This product key is not valid for online activation". 

In simple words, a OEM key can't be directly used with a retail media. But you can migrate the OS to SSD using the following options.

1 ) Create a recovery DVD set using Dell data safe local backup . Replace the HDD with the SSD and use the recovery DVD set to reinstall the OS.

2 ) Use the commercial product "Migrate OS to SSD" from Paragonhttp://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

3 ) Manualy migrate the OS to SSD - http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

This requires a lot of manual work and patience.

4 ) Clean install using Retail DVD.

There is a way to use the retail DVD to clean install. I recommend this method and it is the most easy way. Follow the below steps.

A ) Download Windows 7 Pro 64 retail ISO from DigitalRiverhttp://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

B ) Download ABR from this link - http://directedge.us/files/abr/ABRbeta.exe . Double click the executable to extract to an empty folder. You will see two executable inside the folder.Now Run   activation_backup.exe  as administrator (right click and choose "Run as administrator ) . This will save the activation data including OEM key and XRM certificate . Copy the folder to a removable media.

C ) Replace the HDD with SSD and clean install Windows 7 using retail DVD. After it finishes, plug the removable drive and open the ABR folder. Now run the  activation_restore.exe (as administrator) to install OEM CD key and Certificate to the Windows. Your Windows will be now activated offline.

More info - 

http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/13/backup-and-restore-windows-activation/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 May 2013 - 12:44 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,892 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Official download link  from MS for 7 Pro x64

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24281.iso

Sorry...MS does not authorize such downloads of Win 7.  The fact is that Microsoft's security  regarding Windows 7 has been breached by a large number of websites which offer these "free" downloads of Win 7.  The fact that these sites abound...has nothing to do with the legitiimacy of the download...the downloads are clearly not authorized by Microsoft, even though they reflect links to an agency which MS uses for distribution of its products.

Are Digital River download links for Windows 7 legal for the general public to use - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/3f21f41a-514c-464f-89c3-fae48482b054

Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people not - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423

The fact that Mirosoft is actively engaged in litigation with many of these websites...and doesn't seem able/willing to turn off the illegal downloads....does not change the nature of the downloads.  They are illegal, not authorized by Microsoft.

You might review the forum rules, in particular:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

#5 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

I was not aware that it was in litigation. Nor was I aware that they are "illegal", as they were linked to on Windows7forums, not some "pirate" site. My apologies.

#6 redone

redone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

Knight_ of_Baawa and  Anshad Edavana

Thank you both, most sincerely, for your willing assistance in response to my request, I do genuinely appreciate it. 

Hamluis, Moderator

As I see it, I asked a simple question that did not involve any illegalities, nor did it intend to do so.  Had I known the answer(s,) I would not have bothered asking  the questions.

Further to that, had I known that such simple and innocent questions could possibly bring down such terrible wrath upon fellow forum members who provided their time to assist me (obviously quite innocently) I would not have put them at risk by asking my questions in this forum. I apologise to both the above members for any inconvenience that I may have brought down on you.

I paid to Dell computers a princely sum exceeding $2,300US for a high end laptop, which was further customized, a tad over three years ago. I also own a few other Dell products.That cost included the provision, by them, of Windows 7 Professional, fully installed.

The HDD on which the OS was installed, by Dell, is now showing signs of advancing age and upcoming function problems. I am under the continuing impression that I should be entitled to a renewal of that OS since the original was an OEM and no reinstall disk was provided at point/ time of sale.

I was asking advice about something to which I am certain I am entitled.  In no way, at any time, was I trying to defeat the system and come up with a 'freeby'. I am computer literate and I knew long before I asked the questions that I could go to many places on the 'net and download a freeby Windows 7 OS, with complete impunity. But, I didn't do so, I tried to do it the right way instead.

If anybody is to be held to account, blame me, not the two aforementioned members who tried to help me by answering my questions. Thank you.

Redone

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hi redone

You can call  Dell support and ask for an installation media. If you are lucky, they will mail you an OEM Win 7 media for free or for a small charge. Dell is one of the good companies who like to maintain a healthy relationship with the customers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users