Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thumbnail Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheNumber7

TheNumber7

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I've started having a problem getting thumbnails to show up in My Computer. They used to show, but now I just get icons, and it seems no matter what I do, they don't show up (I do have it set for thumbnails to show).

Around the same time this started happening, a thing called "Mirar" appeared on my computer--it's a bar underneath the bar where you would type a web address, and I can't get rid of that either. Not sure if it's related at all, but I thought I should mention it. Anybody know what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

Disregard this post, it was an error.

Edited by dc3, 12 April 2006 - 12:52 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

I found this at http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spw_rm_Mirar.html

Remove Mirar Adware
About Mirar

Mirar is an adware implemented as an Internet Explorer toolbar. On its website (www.getmirar.com) it says: "The Mirar Toolbar provides content relevant information while you browse the web. Finding pages of similar topic and interest to the page you're on it shortens the time required to find the info you need." Mirar has been reported to be stealthly installed. The program may also intall adware SaveNow on your system.

If you have Spyware Search and Destroy, run it and see if it will recognize it, you will then be able to get rid of it. If you don't have it, you can download it from here...http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

This article suggests that you use Spyware Doctor to remove this, but should also be able to do the same, and it's freeware, SD is not.

The article goes on to explain how to remove it from the registry.

How to Remove Mirar?

Follow these removal instructions to remove Mirar from your computer:

1. Click Start > Run , type 'regedit' and click Ok to open the Registry Editor.
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar,
in the right pane, delete the value {179E4B4A-76C3-4F65-BCED-C9FA1A28D2EF} , if it exists.
3. Locate the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ WebBrowser,
in the right pane, delete the value {179E4B4A-76C3-4F65-BCED-C9FA1A28D2EF} , if it exists.
4. Delete the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {179E4B4A-76C3-4F65-BCED-C9FA1A28D2EF}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {8A0DCBDA-6E20-489C-9041-C1E8A0352E75}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects \ {8A0DCBDA-6E20-489C-9041-C1E8A0352E75}
5. Reboot the computer.
6. Delete the following files (if exist ):

%SystemDir%\NN_BAR.DLL
%SystemDir%\NN_Bar21.dll
%SystemDir%\NN_Bar22.dll
%SystemDir%\NN_Bar31.dll

Note: %System% is a variable, you should replace it with the System directory in your computer. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).
7. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel, double click Internet Options, click the Programs tab, and then click on the Reset Web Settings .

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

NOTE: If you're not familiar with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

If you know the date that this malware began showing up using a System Restore point would be better than editing the registry.

If you do decide to do a registry edit back up your registry before doing so. That gives you a way to revert to the saved registry if you run into any unanticipated problems after modifying the registry.

#6 TheNumber7

TheNumber7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm downloading the Spyware Search and Destroy program right now, so hopefully that will work. :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

It is unlikely Spybot will repair your problem. It may locate the malware and allow you to delete it, but it will not in itself repair the problems that now exist.

Again, if you have a System Restore Point that predates the problem - use it.

That is exactly what System Restore was designed to do.

If you are not completely literate in the registry, do not attempt to modify it with Spybot or any other ap that alters or modifies the registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users