Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Anti Virus + Firewall

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Giving a whirl of the free version of this. I have tried just about all of the free AV softwares out there, and always favored Avast. Saw the reviews on this one, and felt it needed to be tried. Looking for Bleeping Computer feedback on this from those who have experience with it, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Don't bleeping bleep with it! I quit ZoneAlarm when it froze my System Restore (3 years ago). I have uninstalled that program on several PCs and will continue to do so (unless they want it).

Edit:

Stay with avast!. It is effective and can be configured with a little fiddlin".

Edited by bludgard, 25 May 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hi -

A quick extra - Did you fully remove your last Antivirus with the correct tool and not just from Add/Remove -

If not there may be a few minor problems setting up your current Z.A. program.

Thank You -

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi -

A quick extra - Did you fully remove your last Antivirus with the correct tool and not just from Add/Remove -

If not there may be a few minor problems setting up your current Z.A. program.

Thank You -

I did not, but the install went fine, no issues. Anyone else have comments/opinions on this software?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, I ran Zone Alarm Virus+Firewall Free for a couple of days. I'm sure it would work just fine, as I know their Firewall is highly rated. This package got very high ratings at download.com and I wanted to give it a try. One thing that did bother me was the fact I was forced to install their toolbar and make Zone Alarm my default search engine. There was no way around it! This was not a deal breaker for me, but just knowing how good Avast has been for me over time it called me back once again. Uninstalled Zone Alarm and am back With Avast. Just personal preference, and in no way a slight to Zone Alarm.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

One thing that did bother me was the fact I was forced to install their toolbar and make Zone Alarm my default search engine.

Hello Junior2007 -

Regarding the Z.A. Toolbar and Homepage that you may have installed.

I asked at the Zone Alarm forum, and got this reply from one of their Moderators ..............

"To remove the toolbar simply go to your Windows control panel, uninstall a program (WIN7), add/remove program (XP) and look for the ZA toolbar entry. Remove it. Done.

Also  you can opt out of any changes to the browsers homepage, or default search, by clicking on "Skip All Offers" on the install screen."

Hope this helps you or others -

Always read the conditions when you install programs, as there is usually a Do Not Accept, or similar button on the screen.

Regards -

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Always read the conditions when you install programs, as there is usually a Do Not Accept, or similar button on the screen.

Amen to that.

Many toolbars and Add-ons come bundled with other software as a common practice these days by legitimate vendors. Even many anti-virus and security vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. When a vendor includes an add-on such as a toolbar, they do so as a way to "pay per install". This typically is the reason for the pre-checked option. If pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the opt out option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Another amen.

Sometimes one can extract the software one wants fron an installer and use that only. If all one excludes is add-ons and whatnot and leaves the actual program as coded, no swindle.

#10 mz.jdavis

mz.jdavis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

What does pinned mean? Is there an option to speak with a live person for tech support? Thank you. mz.jdavis

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

What does pinned mean? Is there an option to speak with a live person for tech support? Thank you. mz.jdavis

At the top of the forum here, you will see various topics marked in green with the word PINNED next to them. These are considered useful and helpful topics for all users to read. When a topic is pinned, it is placed at the top of the list so it does not become lost in the within the nuemrous topics posted here everyday.

You are receiving assistance in this topic...please follow the instructions provided.

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

I like ZoneAlarm Antivirus + Firewall bundle simply because they use Kaspersky engine which is one of the best antivirus around. But if you have a little older system, then it can really suck the life juice from your PC.

#13 Jimbojet2011

Jimbojet2011

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

This may be a good software but the consumer support sucks people.

The program did not update to the latest version ( paid ) and that is horroble when it comes to safety

So dont try this junk ( just google it and you will find out )

Later

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

When choosing an anti-virus program, firewall or any other security software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users