Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me And Mcafee Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kcbc_2000

kcbc_2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi All!

I am new here and desperately need help. I have ME on my home computer and have run McAfee. It found 55 infected files. When it tells me to clean, delete, or quarantine, and I try to, it tells me that it can't. The files that need deleted all begin with C://restore/temp. I went to the McAfee site and they said to go to My computer, file system and check disable temp files, then start in safe mode and rescan. Well, first, when I went to my computer, that was already checked. I still went ahead in safe mode and did the scan again. I received the same message everytime..it says...This disk is write protected....and will not let me delete or clean anything. I would love to have some help with this problem! :thumbsup: Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

It sounds to me like the viruses are hiding themselves in the protected system restore folders.

In that case, you will need to disable System Restore (I would do so in Safe Mode) and then scan with your anti-virus. Read this BC Tutorial on ME System Restore, which explains the system restore function and how to handle it for virus scanning:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-millennium-system-restore/

Remember to enable System Restore after you have scanned your computer and you are sure the hard drive is virus-free.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 12 April 2006 - 12:20 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 kcbc_2000

kcbc_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

Thanks so much! I will try this tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes! Have a good one! :thumbsup:

#4 kcbc_2000

kcbc_2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

OMG! I just read my original post and found that where I should have typed "system restore" I typed "temp files", realized that when I read the link you referred me to and that is what I did. The "disable system restore" was already checked when I went there. Don't know if that is the problem or not. I still restarted in safe mode and did the scan and still got the "this disk is write protected". Needless to say, the virus is still there. Sorry for the confusion. Any other steps I might try? Thanks again!

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Disabling System Restore should wipe all the information in System Restore. You need to restart your computer and re-scan. Then re-enable System Restore.

System Restore is a protected folder. The virus files in there cannot re-infect your system unless you restore to one of the infected restore points. (Unless someone has written a new kind of virus!)

#6 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

Yes I have had that problem many times when I was on my moms computer Windows ME. This is due to a virus infecting the system restore archives. To disable it you right click my computer click properties. Then Click on Performance tab. Then File system button then troubleshooting. Then check the box that says disable system restore and restart when promted to then reenable system restore and restart again then your virus will be gone. If you can not re enable system restore this is due to it not being in the system start up. If this is the fact give me a reply.
William Montgomery Walters

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

This is due to a virus infecting the system restore archives.

Actually, it's because System Restore backs up the bad with the good. The viruses can't get out of System Restore, either, and that's why you should leave System Restore alone when cleaning a computer, until you're sure the computer is stable. A bad restore point is superior to no restore point.

#8 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:09 PM

Well Mr. Herk I have heard this from the Experts at Mcafee. You can not tell me they are wrong because it is their software and they know a virus when they see one. This is a bad virus to have it implants itself into the system restore archives because it knows that it can not be deleted by a virus software. Or there is a virus that the system restore backup like you said. But to get rid of the virus you must disable system restore and re enable it and all the system restore points will be gone and along with the virus that was within one or more of the system restore archives.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

The viruses can't get out of System Restore, either, and that's why you should leave System Restore alone when cleaning a computer, until you're sure the computer is stable. A bad restore point is superior to no restore point.

Herk is 100% correct.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

Well I am not calling him wrong but unless you are 100% sure then you should not say anything. Besides look at what herk said here Herk Posted Apr 12 2006, 04:36 PM
Disabling System Restore should wipe all the information in System Restore. You need to restart your computer and re-scan. Then re-enable System Restore.

System Restore is a protected folder. The virus files in there cannot re-infect your system unless you restore to one of the infected restore points. (Unless someone has written a new kind of virus!)

I have had a virus in a restore archive and disabled system restore and re enabled it. And sure enough I scanned again with Mcafee and then the virus was gone. So only kcbc_2000 can tell us. So kcbc_2000 disable and re enable system restore like I told you in the one of the previous posts I have sent then scan again and tell us if you have a virus in the system restore archives and we will se who is right and who is wrong.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users